Add to Favorites

Interstellar Marines CARD GAME - Unofficial

in Off Topic.

24th Aug 2011 07:02:14 CET

# 41819

AnusCondus

Bump

Minor update. Optimized some texts (Storage deck on cards became 1 sentence versus the earlier 3 or 4) and the rules for 8 cards (balancing).

Oh, and I removed the 'Defending' action. :)

If you are like me and have already printed 1.78 out, I made a 'diff' pdf with the 8 gameplay changing cards. So just replace these 8 cards wtih their predecessor. Otherwise it's just improved wording so shouldn't change too much.

IM_CardGame_178-179_difference

Badge

24th Aug 2011 18:20:16 CET

# 41846

LordMord

AnusCondus could you send me the pictures of the cards as single images? Or only the Background + images? If the did not have the values and texts that would be appreciated.

Badge

24th Aug 2011 22:56:44 CET

# 41856

Marine_6

dear god i noticed that everyone is here is a spearhead i guess im going to buy it soon :/

Badge

25th Aug 2011 03:39:35 CET

# 41874

alexqpp

Windfeld/Sensei, you're a God !
Edit:// You can even get them printed cheap here!

Now sensei, design the back of the cards! :D

@ Zero Point Software: What about some official printed decks as prices? Would be kinda cool, if the rules of the game works, of course.

Cheers for the link. Now going to make mine.

Badge

26th Aug 2011 16:06:24 CET. Edited 0 minutes after.

# 41912

AnusCondus

@LordMord I'll make you a small batch of cards so you can get started. I hope to get around doing it tomorrow.

I'll send you something like five of each card type - changing the format of all the cards takes quite a lot of work and from then on I will have two sets to maintain.

@Marine_6: Welcome, spearhead or not :)

@alexqpp: Have fun! :D

Cheers :D

Badge

26th Aug 2011 16:36:59 CET. Edited 0 minutes after.

# 41916

LordMord

@AnusCondus Thanks that will be very helpful.
Like i said i only need the picture of the cards + the background.
My program will generate the Textures dynamically by adding Background+Picture+Text/stats. One of the good parts for you is. If you change a Cards stats you only need to give me the changed stats and not a new picture of the Card.

Badge

28th Aug 2011 20:50:41 CET. Edited 1 hour, 25 minutes after.

# 42011

Jerom

What is the point of Cargo ship if it is limited by the regular movement restriction? Why not move the units normally? What am I missing?

As well, why have several different abilities that do the same things? Like for example Extra Storage on territories and Strategist on General Travis.

Why some units have Unique ? What is different about them rule wise? Or is it just flavor text I mean in M:TG "legendary" which seems similar to "unique" meant that only one copy of that card could be in play but right now all the unique cards that I've seen are singular and there are no other copies of them, so I am bit confused.

Badge

29th Aug 2011 19:09:31 CET

# 42029

AnusCondus

@Jerom Nice questions! I'll get back to you later today after work. Unfortunately, Irene (the hurricane) took our electricity for the larger part of our weekend! So sorry for the absence ...

/A

Badge

30th Aug 2011 00:38:43 CET

# 42033

AnusCondus

Home. With electricity! Juhuu!

Ok, lets go through this. Just note we have been iterating and playing the game so much we have started to go blind on the most obvious things ... so awesome to get some feedback from fresh eyes!

What is the point of Cargo ship if it is limited by the regular movement restriction? Why not move the units normally? What am I missing?

Hmmm. Originally it was very useful as before you could only move one unit per turn. Now the value would be you can move a lot of units without spending too many turns doing it. But I agree, it doesn't feel worth the points anymore. Ideas?

As well, why have several different abilities that do the same things? Like for example Extra Storage on territories and Strategist on General Travis.

I am considering adding a more combat oriented rule to them instead of the extra storage. At the time I added the extra storage to make sure each Territory had one special rule (players would pick Territory cards a lot less than anything else, thus boosting their benefit helped a lot). The strategist in its previous design was to cumbersome to use, not to mention describe, so I wanted to try to see if the extra storage benefit was useful. It wasn't. Any ideas to how they can be used better? Ie, removing the extra storage from the units.

Why some units have Unique ? What is different about them rule wise? Or is it just flavor text I mean in M:TG "legendary" which seems similar to "unique" meant that only one copy of that card could be in play but right now all the unique cards that I've seen are singular and there are no other copies of them, so I am bit confused.

So yes, Unique means, more or less, that there are only one card of that kind.

1. The unique value refers to "fluff" as they are unique characters/items in the IM universe. Not a rule, but still deserves to be mentioned.
  2. I had a thought that if I made it into 'sets' where you can combine decks, only one of each Unique should be allowed in the decks.
  3. They would be easy to remove from the decks if you wanted a simpler game (for beginners).
  4. Also, having Unique tags allowed me to make rules for things which wouldn't effect unique units, such as bombardment etc. Though I don't remember if I removed those exceptions in my cleanup phase.

It might sound like I am defending, but in reality, I am trying to evaluate if their existence serves enough benefit to the game diversity versus the complexity that might bog down the game. It's great you put focus on the things - it only means they have not been thought through properly. If they do not serve their function, then naturally they would be removed, or better, improved.

Thoughts?

/A

Badge

30th Aug 2011 17:38:05 CET

# 42045

Jerom

Home. With electricity! Juhuu!

Ok, lets go through this. Just note we have been iterating and playing the game so much we have started to go blind on the most obvious things ... so awesome to get some feedback from fresh eyes!

Hmmm. Originally it was very useful as before you could only move one unit per turn. Now the value would be you can move a lot of units without spending too many turns doing it. But I agree, it doesn't feel worth the points anymore. Ideas?

How about letting it ignore movement limitation? It might be too powerful then but it could be limited from a "stack" of units to single unit.

I am considering adding a more combat oriented rule to them instead of the extra storage. At the time I added the extra storage to make sure each Territory had one special rule (players would pick Territory cards a lot less than anything else, thus boosting their benefit helped a lot). The strategist in its previous design was to cumbersome to use, not to mention describe, so I wanted to try to see if the extra storage benefit was useful. It wasn't. Any ideas to how they can be used better? Ie, removing the extra storage from the units.

Strategist is an awesome name, how about if it would allow to use a unit from adjacent territory to be used in combines attack? Of course it would need an activation cost then. But it could make the ability very potent and since there are only two units capable of that it would be a very strategic card.

So yes, Unique means, more or less, that there are only one card of that kind.

1. The unique value refers to "fluff" as they are unique characters/items in the IM universe. Not a rule, but still deserves to be mentioned.
  2. I had a thought that if I made it into 'sets' where you can combine decks, only one of each Unique should be allowed in the decks.
  3. They would be easy to remove from the decks if you wanted a simpler game (for beginners).
  4. Also, having Unique tags allowed me to make rules for things which wouldn't effect unique units, such as bombardment etc. Though I don't remember if I removed those exceptions in my cleanup phase.

It might sound like I am defending, but in reality, I am trying to evaluate if their existence serves enough benefit to the game diversity versus the complexity that might bog down the game. It's great you put focus on the things - it only means they have not been thought through properly. If they do not serve their function, then naturally they would be removed, or better, improved.

Thoughts?

/A

Yeah, that's what I figured it makes sense, was just bit unclear of the intents.

Badge

02nd Sep 2011 03:48:06 CET

# 42093

AnusCondus

Okay, so I had some spare time to iterate. 1.80 available.

Strategist: +1 attack power when used in combined attacks

Cargo ship: Allows a transport action from this territory

Communication Hub: Allows 3 units to be transported to the territory

Transport is a new move action which is just a move, but ignores conquered and empty territory move restrictions. Dropship cards updated accordingly.

So the current challenge is:

If I remove the Initiative value on the cards, how can I determine who wins the turn initiative? Right now, that is all they are being used for, so not a good solution if you ask me.

Ideas?

/A

Badge

03rd Sep 2011 23:49:44 CET. Edited 11 hours, 48 minutes after.

# 42154

LordMord

@AnusCondus

I hope you did not start to create the single images, cause i played a little with it and creating the Textures dynamicly is way to complicate. You said all the Cards are in a design Document which you export to PDF could you export it as a JPG file? (or anything you can convert into a image) I could write a small programm wich extracts the single images out of this big Image. Send me an E-Mail at removed If somebody knows a free PDF to JPG converter that would do it as well.

Badge

04th Sep 2011 03:46:39 CET

# 42150

AnusCondus

LordMord: Don't worry, I got it. You can remove your mail now from the post, just to avoid spam.

I'll get on it right away. I kinda got caught up in designing the backsides ... not sure I'm going in the right direction, but ... well, see for yourself:

Card Backs ... first 'test'

Maybe too much 'steel'?

I'll make some images for you now. I am also ... yes, busy bee ... updating rules and text on cards after a energetic colleague helped out with typos, naming conventions and more! Thanks Olivier if you read this!

Ok ... images ... brb.

Badge

04th Sep 2011 04:09:46 CET

# 42151

AnusCondus

BUMP. IMCardGame 1.81 is now online.

Includes clarified rules and some card corrections ... nothing big, but still vital stuff.

Badge

06th Sep 2011 05:55:52 CET

# 42181

battleofvalmy

This looks so awesome. I'm printing it out and bringing it to my programming class this week, they all love card games.

Badge

08th Sep 2011 16:54:37 CET

# 49805

Vidmaster

how balanced is this by the way?

Badge

09th Sep 2011 11:58:02 CET

# 65375

ZPSHicks

test

Badge

10th Sep 2011 22:30:33 CET

# 65427

AnusCondus

Sorry for not answering. I figured I would wait until the spam bots were gotten rid of. THANK YOU TAX!

how balanced is this by the way? @Vidmaster: Ok balanced. We have played about 15 games since the first version. The first games took a long time, but the newer version takes around 30-1 hour games. We haven't played 2v2 yet, though. It is WIP so expect questions to pop up. If so, PLEASE post them here so I can figure out to 'fix' it for future releases.

@battleofvalmy: Thanks! And looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Badge

10th Sep 2011 22:33:16 CET

# 65428

AnusCondus

Darn. Can't edit post?! (missed a line break after the quote)

Oh well. Rather that than spam for now.

Badge

11th Sep 2011 04:45:14 CET

# 65437

MaGNUs_Andersen

Am i smelling an interstellar marines collectors edition with a card game within?

Badge

You need to sign in to post messages.