# 41391

Kosai106

Link fixed. :)

Badge

14th Aug 2011 01:22:10 CET

# 41438

AnusCondus

LordMord / Jerom:

Nice if you guys teamed up to work on the framework. We are still iterating on the cards and they are up for a BIG update this weekend, preferably tomorrow. Visually the cards have been upgraded (new skin, more sci fi, more detail, easier to read the important details), so stay posted :D

Badge

14th Aug 2011 17:42:05 CET. Edited 1 minute after.

# 41461

Kosai106

Shit, sorry... Posted in the wrong thread.

Badge

14th Aug 2011 18:01:02 CET

# 41463

forgefire

@LordMord i dont really have any unity experience but this would be a good reason to get it, so if you could use help let me know - then again it might be easier and faster for one person to do it ;)

Badge

14th Aug 2011 18:52:14 CET. Edited 14 minutes after.

# 41469

LordMord

@LordMord i don't really have any unity experience but this would be a good reason to get it, so if you could use help let me know - then again it might be easier and faster for one person to do it ;)

If i got the networking part running, i am going to come back to your offer. Do you have Google+ or Skype? And if you want you can Download Unity 3.4 an "play" a little bit with it.

Edit: Do you have any experience in Programming or anything related to game creation?

Badge

14th Aug 2011 22:44:14 CET

# 41474

forgefire

yup i am on g+ and skype - holla at me over steam if you get something running so i dont have to post my contacts here ;)

And yup got some programming experience, mostly in java however, studying computer science and that is pretty much all we use, but C# is very similar from what i gather.

Badge

15th Aug 2011 06:01:46 CET

# 41481

AnusCondus

BUMP! New visuals, new rules and a stomping 98 cards!

Hell, now there is even a SARAH card in there somewhere :D

Version 1.54 online now :D

Badge

18th Aug 2011 17:23:22 CET. Edited 0 minutes after.

# 41557

LordMord

AnusCodus in which forms do you have the pictures of the Cards? Do you have any Textfiles withe all the stats of the Cards? Or is it only the PDF file?

In the current state you can Create Games and join them. And if the synchronization of Game objects works i am going to start implementing the game logic.

@forgefire currently i don't know how you could help me cause i have no plan. I'm just doing this that i feel are right. The only thing would be the initialization of the Cards with all the stats and textures on the start of a game.

Badge

19th Aug 2011 01:00:19 CET. Edited 1 minute after.

# 41570

AnusCondus

LordMord: Right now they are in a 'design' document in which I export to PDF. Eventually I have to make them into pictures if I intend to print them. Copying the numbers/text into a excel sheet or similar won't take too much time. Hell, I could probably link the doc to extract from and excel (uuuh, finally a chance to learn that feature!)

So what have I been working on ...

For the time being I am working on version 2, which includes:

1. Multiplayer, aka 2v2 option

2. Simplified turn sequence. Right now it gets a bit staccato when you get 4-6 units, so I'm ironing out the time consuming wrinkles). The game takes 40-50 min for a 'new' player, so I'm hoping to get it down to 20-30, and 30-40 if you are playing 2v2.

3. Establish a consistent terminology on the cards and the rules - this is not as easy as it sounds! Magic has freaking law students to do theirs!

4. New card design/layout. Now there cards are not so dark, in CMYK (not all the pictures yet, but it already prints much nicer). The most obvious is the new new skin with an 'open' design. Sample, WIP

/A

EDIT: Bad typo ... twice! Last time, i promise :D

Badge

19th Aug 2011 10:36:26 CET

# 41602

forgefire

@LordMord np, just give me a shout out if you need a hand at some point.

@AnusCondus funcky! I might suggest the people i play boardgames with to try this out soon... Just not sure how easy it is to make people play it if they arent into IM ;)

Badge

19th Aug 2011 12:32:32 CET

# 41606

Kendzi

Just not sure how easy it is to make people play it if they arent into IM ;)

Easy, get them into IM!

Badge

20th Aug 2011 06:53:46 CET

# 41623

AnusCondus

@forgefire Well, I have played with people who had no idea what IM was ... the game is made so you don't really need any pre-knowledge to play. I made it so we could add IM to the players subconsciousness! Muahaha!

Seriously though, I just had a new playsession today with the 'trimmed' rules (I'll be staying up to write them down), and they were AWESOME. Apart from an overpowered SARA (which I had spelled SARAH) I am pretty confident about the current balance and flow.

The new 'rules' enable many more cards to be played and thus a much more chaotic outcome. A coder, who is reaaaally good at games with math (surprise, eh?), was owning the other players until I added the rule changes that made the combat outcome less predictable. The funky scenarios and weird cards provided quite a few laughs. Success!

Also, the decision to make the combat phase ping-pong between player instead of initiative (which caused the combat staccato) turned out to be spot on. The time was approximately the same, but instead of trying to solve a complex equation, they spent the time to make some critical combat choices!

The only thing that might annoy me is the time it takes to play a game. Might be because the two players were reaaally good, but the game took around an hour. I still have to try out the 2v2 ...

So, I'll bump and replace the 1.56 file tonight or tomorrow. I have to replace it since ZPS is referring directly to the download link.

I'll shut up now and get to work!

/A

Badge

20th Aug 2011 13:32:32 CET. Edited 0 minutes after.

# 41637

Kosai106

Work minion, work ! * Insert whip sounds here *

Badge

21st Aug 2011 00:36:13 CET

# 41646

AnusCondus

Damn, the rules are getting simpler, yet deeper!

Any card playing pros around?

I've run into a little obstacle here. I'm rewriting the rules to fit the new streamlined gameplay and I ran into a little dilemma with a theoretic improvement.

Units use actions ...

So Units can attack other Units. To attack, move, conquer etc you perform an action. When performing an action, you tap your card (turn it 90 degrees) to indicate it has performed an action this turn.

Additionally, Units can defend ...

When being attacked, a unit may use it defence value to limit the incoming damage. So far so good. But, the new rule I want is: If the defending Unit is hit by any subsequent attacks it cannot use it's defense value again and takes full damage.

Problem at hand ...

How do I 'remember' which Units have 'used up' their defence? How is this compatible without interfering with the 'I performed and aciton' tapping?

Forcing the player to remember which units have defended is not acceptable. Is there a practical way? This means there are four states: Used, Used-Defended, Unused, Unused-Defended.

Current considerations ....

I considered flipping the card upside down, but this pretty unpractical if you have damage tokens on it.

I considered an extra token type ... just bad. Really bad.

I considered flipping it right vs flipping it left, but it will be hard to figure out since one player sees it from the opposite side.

I considered making it an action to Defend (with bonuses etc), but that would completely unbalance the game and I would have to reset all values. This is probably my last resort.

I even considered diagonals, but now I am just getting desperate.

Is it really important?

How important is it? Pretty important. Sometimes big battles become stalled because one defending Unit has been boosted with defence and is thus impervious. So sure, I could go without it, but it feels soooo close ... damn you physical limitations!

Any ideas?

A digital card game I found while searching for answers: Wagic - card game

Badge

21st Aug 2011 07:22:04 CET

# 41655

Jerom

If I would use dedicated tokens It would have green on one side and red on the flip side. Then there would be "Taped","Untapped" ,"Green side of token" and "Red side of token" states, iteration to that I'd introduces action token instead of tapping, and taping to represent defended status. Both of those solution are not good as they relay on additional tokens.

That brings me to the thought, how about tapping the defended location? It could work only if all the units on that location have to defend. However since a location could be assault from multiple territories and flipped to represent conquered status taping it is not optimal.

Another solution would be embracing a rule change: two possible solution to it are - only one action per unit move/attack/defend and hence taping solves that issue. Alternatively let the unit block multiple times, with damage token system why not let it fight two or three attackers? while second option wouldn't drastically change the play style it would require rebalancing of the units and the first option would introduce the the tactical decisions like in M:TG

Badge

21st Aug 2011 08:49:21 CET

# 41658

Antonio38425144

Work minion, work ! * Insert whip sounds here *

Where there's a whip, there's a way.

Badge

22nd Aug 2011 04:27:09 CET

# 41708

AnusCondus

BUMP

@Jerom Thanks for the ideas. I've made the newest version with your last suggestion: To make Defend an action. I'll see how it works out when I get a change to try out the new streamlined rules.

New and improvements

So, most of the known changes were posted in one of my previous posts. The most important chance since then is the merging of the movement and combat phase ... into the Action Phase.

So in short, after the Turn Initiative has been decided, each players takes turn. Place/deploy cards etc and naturally transition into the 'Action' phase. So if you play more cards than your opponent, you will be 'delayed' into the action phase. You deploy one unit, I place my territory, you play your first unit, I place my first Unit, you move another unit, I play my first Unit etc. The overlap should be interesting.

I removed a lot of 'restrictions ... this speeds things up, simplifies and becomes less of 'Oh, I forgot about ...' moments.

So now there are basically only 3 things: Cards, Actions and validate victory conditions. Each Unit is allowed one action per turn - this can be either Attack, Defend (+1 defence), Move, Conquer, Reclaim or Pass (do nothing).

Oh, and I added a rule for Storage Decks :D Means you can 'store' cards on the side for future use :) See the last page for those rules.

Let me know what you guys think!

/A

Badge

22nd Aug 2011 06:24:32 CET

# 41713

Jerom

What happens if the territory that allows extra storage is conquered?

Badge

22nd Aug 2011 16:08:18 CET

# 41738

AnusCondus

@Jerom I believe I wrote you have to discard a card of choice from your Storage Deck :) I thought about cards that would allow you to steal from your opponent, or even 'switch' decks, but that would just be eeeeeviiiil :D

Badge

23rd Aug 2011 21:15:25 CET

# 41780

AnusCondus

Wow! PoTW! Darn, now the pressure is on!

It's still WIP people! :D Juuuust keeping my back clear :P

Speaking of, I'm fixing some typos, clarifying some rules that came up yesterday. Shouldn't count as a new batch, but I'll make a separate printing sheet for those who want it (i do) :)

/A

Badge

You need to sign in to post messages.