published Thursday, 17 Nov. 2011, 19:00 by ZPSHicks

This "late" Picture of the Week is taken near the "new" Area B on the Combat Range 1 Deadlock map, which has just gone through its 3rd Iteration internally. It's really exciting for us to slowly materialize where we'll soon be fighting each other in tense close quarter tactical combat!

Full Picture of the Week media section available [here]

Comments

Looks promising. Hope we get to test it.

The helmet visor is visible, sweet^^ Also, nice lense flare! If we had a hundred of these, we'd have Battlefield 3! :D

Oh, dear "Lord", YES! ... You get to test it! :)

Hicks, any word on whether or not the Unity render path has improved? I've been noticing a ton of input lag here when I tested the 1st iteration of the map.

GT240 1gb DDR5 OC
3.06ghz C2D
8gb DDR3 1066mhz

Also, will the Deadlock portion be a standalone DL? I'd prefer that over browser if at all possible.

@Saijin_Naib:

Regarding rendering and performance, then we're expecting great things from Unity 3.5 (which will be released in the near future) .. what you've tested so far have really been brute force rendering without multi-threaded CPU support, no LOD'ing, no occlusion culling etc., very unoptimized! We'll start with serious parallel performance focus as we move past the initial release of Deadlock and as we get more exciting tech available from the guru's at Unity.

Input lag is currently (as far as we can conclude) related to Unity's default FPS controller, which we've used in all our Unity tests released so far; once we finish refactoring / recreating our own immersive character controller based on what we've learned from Running Man, we'll eliminate this completely ... and in general all our effort in Deadlock and moving forward will bow to responsiveness is always KING ... including lag in all its appearances!

Regarding the tech for Deadlock Standalone ... Then you should expect everything to run inside the browser, at least in the beginning as only time and resources will allow us to make a proper self-updating kick ass download available at some point ... We want it to be as easy and painless to play in either browser or from desktop as it is in Minecraft! :) (That game just keep popping up!

Thank you very much for the tech-update. It's really promising!
Things like this make me go on supporting the developement they way I do.

Regarding the screenshot: Beautiful. I want to get my hands on this baby soon:)

Wow, looks a lot better. I like it.

The only reason I can actually wait for Deadlock is my PC is half-dead anyway :S

shoutout to kendzi in twitter ;)

Good update - I hope unity manages to push 3.5 out real fast! Really wanna shot some community members soon :D

Coming together nicely, can't wait :D

Wow, looks good. Regarding the helmet visor, I think it needs to be a bit smaller. Just seems too wide to me.

well i think you guys can mod unity up so the graphics look great but a liitlle tip on making map 3 is make the map diverse put some rubel and dibree. it adds loads of variety make it confusing. ;) from the demo iv seen in 2008 compared to this i think you guys should call this the mult player beta. what teams are threr is there spetnaz or something? when disigning IM character just make shure they look suitible for alien outdore enviroments. Finaly can you guys gueese when this may come out

The reason it looks clean, is because deadlock right now is situated in a controlled indoor environment - where weather and climate can be controlled by the IM A.I :)

looks really solid guys!

looks good canĀ“t wait for deadlock.

Deadlock - iteration 1 or whatever it's called runs like crap on my macbook air 13" 2011.

You guys said that the performance would be better because of LODding and Culling but will having people running make it so slow as this or do you think it would run ok on my computer.

--Specs (MacBook Air 13" 2011)--
Intel Core i5 1.7GHz (faster than it looks)
4GB Ram (1333MHz DDR3)
Intel HD 3000 (384mb VRAM)

I would like to run it on forward or deferred rendering cause vertex lighting is crap. And a resolution over 800x600 would be good also, turning all the effects off i wouldn't care about.

Running man ran at about 30-40fps on Fast setting in the browser window. Which is good.

Do you think the performance would be comparable to that.

SAMM_47 the Intel HD 3000 might limit your performance a bit - this is going to be GPU intensive I think ;)

Having said that my guess is that you would be able to run deadlock on those specs once it is fully released.... It would be silly of ZPS not to have people with those specs be able to play at a good framerate anyway :)

*Bows at Zero Point*

*Continues with the day*

-Leowolf-

Looks very nice, can't wait to test it :-)

I'm sure my new computer can handle it. I'll post specs once it's built. Parts arriving tonight!

Looking great, can't wait for the Spearhead testing phase!

If you release deadlock on steam it can be updated easily and the same is with mac app store. But you could make it so the game checks for updates when you open it, and it doesn't let you play until you update, so then everybody is on the same version.

You could charge like $5 for standalone and free for in the browser.

Because i prefer standalone games over the browser, i also get better performance with standalone games.

I think if there was bots that would be cool, it may be not possible because of having a low budget, and you may not have enough time to make AI at the moment, but if for example their was tons of hackers, or if the multiplayer was too laggy, you could play against some easy bots and just shoot them in the face, and you wouldn't have any lag. So for people with poor internet connection could still have fun.

Do you think this computer can run deadlock when it's all optimised and stuff.

MacBook Air 13"
1.7GHz Intel Core i5 (this is faster than it looks, my only problem is intel graphics)
4GB DDR3 Ram
Intel Graphics 3000 384mb (it can run running man on fast settings at 40fps)
256GB SSD

You should have an advanced settings part for deadlock, where you can adjust the graphics precisely, with texture, object detail, lighting, post process, everything. Because my computer can do all post process stuff very easily, but when it comes down to polycount and very high texture settings it starts to heat up and slow down

Listing Picture of the Week articles (sorted by date)