published Monday, 7 Nov. 2011, 15:00 by ZPSHicks

If you thought that the ITO Zero Environment Combat Suit would forever be one size fits all, well think again! :) We've internally started iterating on tons of various Interstellar Marines customization options, which will allow us all to personalize our preferred outfit within the standards of the ITO Special Forces.

Full Picture of the Week media section available [here]

Comments

I guess that's for more and more progression, you are not trying to challenge the now so popular CoD customization and character progression, aren't you? :-) Of course you do.

Which is probably a good plan. But keep in mind that there are those who dislike not being able to access all the game's content. Like me.

Lookin' good there fellas! :)

If this drawing was a woman, i'd hit it

tap dat from behind

Umm, customization is cool. Bring it on.

OHMYGODILOVECUSTOMIZATION! Please make different things affect stats slightly!

*squeals loudly and passes out from excitement*

" Please make different things affect stats slightly! "

Ehh... my first thought was to simply say "NO!!!" but now i wonder...why on earth would you want that?

Anyway looking good zps - hope you got a kick ass siterp for us this friday ;)

Warning: Extended viewing of this picture can cause production of significant amounts of saliva within gear geeks' mouths. Awesome.

Well we haven't fleshed out any of the specifics for customization yet, but we've been talking quite a lot about having different items enhance or constrict the player, like you could choose to deck yourself out with heavy armor only, but carry a revolver around (allowing you to get up close and personal) - the heavy armor would naturally constrict your movemen/spee and maybe even disallow you to do certain moves or fit through vents etc, but it would make you pretty much a walking tank.
Basically you guys, the players should be able to play this as you want, not play by numbers.
Anyway this is just my view on the system.

"Open inventory. Equip light armor. Modify urban camouflage. Equip Pistol. Modify silencer. Modify enlarged magazine. Close inventory."

This would be beyond awesome. Still, customizing without voice input is fair enough:)

"Open inventory. Become Chuck Norris. Instantly win the game."

Hell, I like the direction this is going. The customization of marines can bring a lot a variety to the game and combining the armor pieces can get people entertained for a long time. It works very well in Space Marine, for example. And those helmets look pretty awesome, can't say which one is the best because all of them look very good.

The one to the far left looks rad, but I also like the one with the huge visor a lot. But I'd say the two with individual "eyes" look best.

I like the looks of this. Though from reading the comments, I would prefer to be a fast character. I'm not the best at stealth, but I still like the ability to quickly move around the battlefield.

Heavy armor and a revolver. Sounds like E.Y.E:Divine Cybermancy. Except in E.Y.E. the revolver allows you to snipe heavily armored dropships and daemonic titans with 2 shots.

Does this mean we can run around as pink fluffy marines with sharks for arms?

RKB53 I really hope not :P

I think I still like the standard helmet the most.

Just a suggestion, but you could increase the immersion by having the new player fill out a quick profile before starting the game, with height, weight, ethnicity, etc. Some people have said that it's harder to shoot a skinny person than a large one, but to fix that, the heavier people can have slightly more endurance. Just little differences.

well this is new finaly some costimization on the character i well send u guys at ZPS tons of new stuff on costumes or that thing a couple of idea s are like air force or medic you know this shows that your atleast 50 percent of this is done the game for the love of the game

sweeeeeet

I'm ecstatic that you're planning stat-based armor! And the sheer variety that I'm seeing rocks! And since characters are persistent, I'm going to assume that some of the helmets might help or hinder your visibility (or like I'm assuming from the one on bottom far left, completely switch to a camera view while it's closed) depending on what it's for. Which I'm all for. There's no way a guy wearing seventy extra pounds of armor should be able to keep up in a dead sprint with me, who will probably be minimal armor for that super fun agility.

POTH jea finally. And it looks prommising.

do you guys recieve my email i hope anyways do you think is kinda like the halo reach armour costimization thing or is it more like skins

oooooooooooo when first contact comes out im going to make a cool jungle astronaut interstteler marine MUUUUUAHAHAHAH.

Nice job as always

marine565_spred do feel free to post all that stuff in the forum instead of sending a mail - the devs read and everyone are able to give feedback ;)

Smoking hot, my friend...

I like design of IM very much! its what I call realistic sci-fi =)

Will guns when hostlered appear on back if character (or anywhere at all) like In GRAW ?

@CzechDeath

Yes, realistically you'll be able to view most, if not all of your ammunition and weapons on your character. :)

Cheers for the positive feedback guys!

Now that's great news! Stat-based equipment and visible weapons/ammo, can't wait to see that.

Unlike most apparently, I think I will go for the 'juggernaut' approach instead of the 'lightning' one. Can't wait to walk on and give bullet hail under heavy armour!

I can't wait to customize my landshark with shades, a hawaiian shirt and tropical fruit drink.

^ HAHAHHAHA! Now THAT'S something we're all looking forward to Sandubogi. ;)

I'm not opposed to the custimisation options and applaud it, since many games don't allow for such flexibility for players. However, your studio should be careful when designing stuff; some of those helmet drawings in the image you've shown are very similar to those seen in Halo: Reach.

hmmmm for one thing you guys have to look at your character costimization well
dont lisn to the guy up there it doesnt matter the point is come up with more than
zero G suits and more like military forces kinda like killzone3 and when disigning your levels be
creative like an awsome zero G firefight or a stealth mission make it look absoultly EPIC!!!`
renembre THERE IS A SOLDIER IN ALL OF US!!!!!!!

Hyncharas, I really wouldn't say to worry much about the helmets. First of all, if you are referring to a lawsuit, stuff like that is pretty much impossible to sue for. In general though, if you set out with the goal of designed badass space marine helmets, some designs are going to be reoccurring :D

do we get powered combat armor for certain environments or missions?

I'm ready to customise my marine into a clone trooper from star wars,I about to see it soon...

Like mentioned already, there's always going to themes or designs that are replicated in some way or another - if they do actually look similar, its not the intention - these are draft sketches, so i wouldn't worry about lawsuits...art unless is 100% derivative cannot be patented or protected by trademarks (unless its 1 to 1 like mickey mouse).

Seeing as if even bungie would care, the fact alone that they be making a discussion about whether or not a sic-fi game can use helmets with curved triangular glass fronts would be like KFC going out and saying that nobody else can serve fried chicken :)

I for one would love powered suits, but i think the team would hang me out to dry :D

Really cool, I hope these customisations aid in special ways not just affecting Stats. Eg. Breathing underwater or heat resistance etc.

PS: Will there be a sit-rep this week? :D

I like the idea that you can have multi-player games where everyone looks different enough to tell them apart.

iF YOUR LOOKING FOR MORE WAYS THEN HERE ARE A FEW

radiation, static, kinetic, burn, electric shock, physical impact, rupture, chemical burn and explosive.

remote telemetry and first-person input ranging from up to 6,000 distinct channels (ranging from full spectrum EM to acoustic, barometric, and pheromonal)

autonomic and regulatory functions.

physical and neurological state of the user and optimize them automatically. What about regulates dopamine, lactic acid, and corticosteroid levels, anticipates and counteracts debilitating stress and fatigue reactions.

A medical system that has automated injection and Defibrillator System.

If you want to see all features i expect in the game then go here:

threads/id/2142/

Listing Picture of the Week articles (sorted by date)