published Tuesday, 16 Aug. 2011, 12:00 by ZPSHicks

First vegetation test on one of our artificial cave maps (previously used to test a toggle-able day and night lighting prototype). Thanks to the power of Unity, we've been able to get a good head start on environment vegetation, after purchasing a few cool packages in the Unity Asset Store and we're all pretty excited about the potential detail and variety it presents our environments.

Full Picture of the Week media section available [here]

Comments

Excellent! Good idea with using the asset store to speed things up :D

Where are the vines? ^_^

Awesome! Boxes are tilted too :) Overall, a nice atmosphere for what it is.

More trees and bushes plz. I just hope that branches wont be totally "flat" like in so many other games :(

Nice! Pretty realistic. I'm looking forward to sneaking around behind some vegetation ;)

Looks really good. Is this a prototype build for multiplayer? I can't wait.

Funny you mention vegetation, I've been working on some trees for a while myself. Foliage is a pain to do in my opinion.

Regarding the actual photo; It looks great, and I can imagine running around there with a squad. :)

Damnit, I cannot edit my post here... Oh well.

@ Vytautas_goodNO: Not having "flat" branches is a problem, seeing as they are made of flat planes to keep the triangle-count low and within the budget. :)

Yay! New stuff :-D I've been waiting for something to happen here.. :-p The days here at my school goes too slow.. :-p

The only cure to flat branches I could imagine is doing some kind of "extremely-close draw distance" that loads a better and more detailed model of the branch as soon as your character is very close to it. Much effort for little effect, though.

@ Kosai106: Thx for answer. From what you said I thought about other games as well. And I concluded that actually there is not a single game that depicts vegetation "realistically" in 3 dimensions, with round twigs and bent leaves. Doesn't it have something to do with technology that is used to produce those models? (DirectX/other programs)

I wonder if a fundamental change of software is needed for truly realistic vegetation to be made.

niiiiiiiiiiiice

It's always good to see some screenshots, nice :-)

omg yes some foliage! i'm loving the cave training grounds btw and now all we need are bodies of water!

@Kosai156
@Vytautas_goodNO:

if ZPS chosses to do 3d highly detailed vegetation instead of those cliche flat trees. it would be a revolution. near crytek lvl.

attention to detail as you say. keep up the good work and nice pic by the way.

after this Denmark will no longer be Infamous for our vikings. we will be remembered of ZPS. and the huge effort they made to make these games. ZPS and IM will go over in gaming history ?B;-D

@ Kapper: Even the Crysis games is using the same method with their foliage... Just so you know. ;)

Question - Are we only going to be dealing with Terran flora, or are we in for some xenobotanical ass-kickery?

This looks like it's going to be fun to navigate through and enjoy the scenery, this picture is pretty awesome as is.

This game has serious potential. 3D Studio Max is really great for creating foliage and game objects, they can easily be moved into Unity. I'm experimenting in game design and I've found this to be the easiest way to make plants. 3D Game Studio is a good thing for making the basics of the map and can be moved into Unity also, so you can create a lot for the level quickly then all you need to do is create textures in Photoshop or paint.net either are good editors for texture making. I can't wait to see what the finished game looks like! I've told a lot of friends of mine about this game, hopefully they will decide to make an account. Right now they are mostly just looking into information about the game to decide what they like about it. I hope you guys are able to fix the shotgun problem which is in all games. Either the BB's expand forever in the game, or they have a short range to stop them from doing this, I have used a few different types of shotguns and they have never done this they have a pretty far range and only expand a certain amount. Anyways love the game hope more comes out soon!

looks gorgeous.

Finally. i map that has both crates and trees. maybe make the boxes different types, like small metal ones that are barely big enough to crouch behind, and huge shipping crates or something.

Would be a nice touch if the foliage would part and sway when you move through them.

Best game EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Listing Picture of the Week articles (sorted by date)