published Monday, 23 May 2011, 19:00 by ZPSHicks

You might already know the Meikyu 2.1 "Rhino" Tactical Shotgun "available" inside The Vault as well as in another POTW concept posted earlier and here is our beloved shotgun 02 again (still have two unrevealed shotguns models) in form of a high polygon render to quietly hint that this baby will be part of our Deadlock inventory eventually .. and like a famous Corporal once said: "I like to keep this handy... for close encounters!"! :)

Full Picture of the Week media section available [here]

Comments

What is this? Is it a gun? Madness! I. Have. To. Post!

All jokes aside, I think it looks absolutely beast. :)

im not a big fan of shotguns but this 1 looks cool :)

Looks really sweet-looking, and I love the name. I imagine it hits like its namesake; if this gun slams into you, you're not getting back up anytime soon :D

From the left of the clip on back it looks like a semi automatic pistol with an action that slides back, but it also has a pump action. In fact, if you cover the clip and the pump action, it just looks like an elongated semi auto pistol.
Not sure I get this other than for aesthetic reasons. Aren't the 'ridges' just above the trigger used in a semi auto to pull the action, e.g. to load the first round?
I always wonder why artists design guns to have features and textures that don't make sense. Check out the aesthetics of the AA12; body is mostly void of features. Granted, this isn't the first game to do this; Gears of War is an obvious example. GoW gets a pass, in my book, because it's just so ridiculously over the top that nothing in it makes sense at all.
I'm not the type to demand realism in my games. I just think this design doesn't seem to fit with the them of Interstellar Marines.

Great model!

@Ninjaish +1

@Ninjaish, then again, the AA12 is fugly. I'm not going to carry something like that around in space, fighting blood-thirsty sharks with legs.
But while I don't know much about guns, I do agree that it might be nice if they consulted someone who does, when making the designs. I've noticed this too with things like the space-ship design and suits. they look cool, but there are features that doesn't make sense, or that would be done entirely different if the ship was actually real. And realism doesn't necessarily equal ugliness.

It seems a bit short for a shotgun.

@ Nithel: A real space ship would be a long tube so the accelaration wouldn't affect parts that are further away from the axis too much (compare to levers) and in order to change direction, it would be fully turned around and then use its main engine to influence the vector. Maybe, sufficient technology provided, a ship would be spherical because that is most efficient considering the ratio of needed coating material and interior space. But the classical space ship designs from science fiction do only make sense for atmospheric flight (Normandy SR1/SR-2) or aquatic use, like real ships (Star Destroyer/Kitty Hawk).

Apart from that, I like the look. We are fighting sharks with legs in a future where we can travel faster than the speed of light, but still use conventional 20th century firearms, so I wouldn't be too worried about the ridges. The gun looks cool and you do immediately believe in its ability to blast a landshark straight through a room without much effort. So, a word to the sharks out there: "Smile, you son of a bitch."

I wish I had a model of this or the assault rifle for my friend to model into a vacu-form weapon and modify it to an airsoft gun...

@Gortos: ITO dosen't have FTL tech as far as I know. The thing they colonized so far is the Solar System.

Wasn't this picture posted a while back?

Too right mate.

This gun looks so beast, I'm sure it could kill a landshark with ease. It would probably obliterate the thing instantly, or at least make it look like swiss.....shark. Lol. It does sorta look like a pistol with a pump-action magazine though.

It looks a little too much like the Nerf Longshot pistol attachment:

B0/SdR9CV0qNbI/AAAAAAAAAWA/noKNpVBqCRE/s400/Nerf+L
ongshot+(Yellow)+05.JPG

I prefer submachine guns or LMGs, but this looks pretty deadly too.

Given that most of the settings we've seen so far are corridors and hall type structures this shotgun is going to shred landsharks like nicely.

"Too right, mate."
-COD4 Modern Warfare

I have to reply with a quote as well:

Sol: It's a f***ing anti-aircraft gun, Vincent.

Vinny: Well I wanna raise some pulses, don't I?

close encounters?....Close Encounters of the Third Kind? :P

Very nice. Would love to see some sniper rifle reders too :)

Keep up the good work.

My model of the Meikyu 2.1 "Rhino" Tactical Shotgun has nothing on this, i can't wait to see the final textured ingame model, i bow to the great ZPS modeling master.

I really like the model so far.

A note about shotguns: They typically have a longer range in real life than is put into most games. Can we please have a shotgun that has a longer effective range than 20 feet? Please?!

I get that shotguns are great for CQB (close quarters battle) and indeed, they are, or S.W.A.T. teams wouldn't use them, or various military and other police forces. They are devastating in close quarters, but lets face it... half of the time anything farther than 20 feet or so in game, and you only tickle your target, if they even feel it.

A shotgun is capable of being effective at easily three times that distance, even with a shortened barrel. If you bring slugs into the picture it's a whole different animal, as a slug can hit at even longer distances and put just about anything down.

That makes me think of something for Deadlock. Non-lethal rounds would be a good idea. Marines could train with rubber baton rounds in the shotgun, or with beanbag rounds. The same is true even for pistols but would be a bit harder. Might use a plastic that is low density and breaks apart as it transfers energy to the target, kinda like a paintball on steroids. Non-lethal but hurts like hell. Anyway, if somebody wanted to use the "shot" style shells in training, they could take small rubber balls and put them into the shells.

An example for the shot shells with rubber balls would be to look at what are called Stingball grenades, usually used as combatant and riot-suppression weapons. They are non-lethal, but you set one off inside an 8x10 jail cell... well bad day for whoever is in there.

Love the design... can't wait to see what's next!

@Tearstone

You're right. Shotguns have a longer range. Here's a nice demonstration.

rd-QZXBfZI

@All: We love getting all your uncensored feedback, suggestions and ideas, thanks.

@Ninjaish: Great attention to detail and no doubt you've got a few valid points .. its always a challenge to balance design and practical functionality when creating 'realistic' sci-fi. That said IM is more Aliens than Arthur C. Clark so a bit of creative freedom is allowed .. We're just extremely fortunate to have a huge community shiit-filtering our work allowing us to adjust and iterate where needed.

@Weirdoo: The picture posted earlier was a concept drawing of the Rhino, this picture is a high-poly 3D render work-in-progress! .. But why am I telling you this, you're the mighty all-knowing Weirdoo god! :)

@voyager33mw / @StrayEagle: Don't worry guys you know we've got +27 weapons 3xLMGs and 3xSniper Rifles .. all good comes to those who wait!

@Tearstone: We've played way too much 'Raven Shield' to know that the effective range and spread of pellets fired from even short barreled shotguns have a much greater range than your typical Doom/Gears shotguns! ... and indeed Deadlock's candidate vs Candidate combat is non-lethal introducing a few interesting options for paralyzing enemies though ammo-types.

since this is in the furute i hope this shotgun is a fairly large caliber 8 guage sounds nice :D and it would turn anything un armored into swiss cheese or shark

Pump action AND box-magazine? Does it have som kind of grenade launcher Alien 2-style?

What sorts of ammunition will we have for the Shotguns?
I assume we can choose from a few different accessories for those rails too right?

Also is there be better be at least one bullpup weapon? That's really the future of conventional firearms, since we're not fighting with crazy ass lasers and such.

This game is going to be amazing.

@MadMule: The bore diameter of all shotguns in IM including extension are 12 gauge, so you can expect good stopping power with both slug and pellet rounds.

@Mjauv: The Rhino is actually fully-automatic (like the modern AA12) with the pump-action used to primarily chamber new shells (Old school, but makes sense gameplay-wise with our slow, medium, fast reload-logic) .. this particular magazine holds 12 shells/cartridges and weapons like this only achieves grenade-launcher capability if an extension is mounted onto the weapon ... not sure if the Rhino is compatible tough.

@S3anyBoy: We actually have a lot of different shell configuration (shotguns have most variety in ammunition) .. Electro-Muscular, small pellets, larger pellets, slugs, incendiary, explosive, trackers, EMP-charges ... which makes shotguns extremely versatile if you can live with its slower reloads or small ammunition capacity.

Hate to admit it but we currently do not have the "bullpup" design incorporated into our arsenal at the moment because most of our weapon systems have small electro magnetic acceleration systems allowing barrels to be shorter while maintaining the armor-piercing capability of AP-rounds .. but nothing is set in stone yet so we might adjust or add one of the SMGs or assault-rifles to fit this enhancement.

Will you guys do some kind of Rail gun? (Not confuse with Ray gun.) The navy has a large working rail gun now so is not impossible that some time in the future they can bring that down to assault rifle size.

@ZPS Hicks/Argoon If what Hicks just described is basically a form of man-portable rail-gun or electromagnetic acceleration gun. That means that yes, larger warships and weapon systems are likely to be rail-guns.

At least if I'm reading that right... Am I?

I LOVE IT!! But one big question.. Do we get at least one shotgun with a stock? Even if it's an optional attatchement or a foldaway, I firmly believe that shotguns need to have a stock. I'm not the biggest bloke and I'm not a soldier, but I'm 73kgs and I can do a handstand pushup, and I've used a 12ga shogtun a number of times. I'd have to say, if that thing wasn't pressed up against my shoulder, I wouldn't want to use that in a firefight. Holding it steady, the wrist strength to keep it firm and aim again to fire quickly...

BECAUSE....... Every action has an equal and opposite reactoin.
If a 12ga slug flies at the speed of sound and hits someone, flattens slightly and puts a big hole through their chest, that same force is pushing back (dispersed by the size and weight of the gun) into your shoulder. Or hand. Hence why I like to have a stock. A comfy stock.

Generally speaking, in games, the addition or improvement of the stock reduces effects of recoil on your aiming, mainly through reduced 'climb'.
One other thing, if you imagine you have a gun, weighing between 2 and 4 kgs. Your hand is at the back of it. How easy is reloading going to be? You hvae to support the full weight of the weapon with one hand to remove and replace your magazines. If you can hold it against your shoulder, the lever just got easier to manage.

can someone giv me meissures in mm and more photos in 3d or 2d. i want to draw it in inventor as a project to the game

I wonder if they are gonna fix the shotgun problem, no other video game has. I've explained the problem on another post, it would be great if this is the first game that fixes it.

@ Tearstone:
The original use of shotguns was to somewhat be able to hit a target at long range without much aiming. LOL

are you planning to make any automatic shotguns?if you need inspiration you can check out my deviant art gallery.my username on deviantart is maxcool111,just so you know

I read the text and I was like WUT ITS A SHOTGUN?!?!
But this shotgun is really awesome hope its in the game

Listing Picture of the Week articles (sorted by date)