published Monday, 9 May 2011, 12:00 by ZPSHicks

Back when our team included concept artists they could always play around with the shark creature concept, if e.g. idling. This iteration (we called it "chicken legs") was spawned by our beloved Mr. Munk to great amusement on the team ... and actually inspired ideas centered around the fact that, maybe not all creature fabrications is perfect all the time. (Like they say: "Don't *beep* with mother nature")!

Full Picture of the Week media section available [here]

Comments

Wow, that looks crazy :D

Thank you for ruining the sleep I was supposed to get tonight! :(

Seeing that creature I'm wondering if there are different versions of the shark creatures in the game. For example the "normal" one and the "chicken legs", which could be slower but able to jump higher. I think it would be nice and realistic, because as they said: when you *beep* with mother nature there'll happen things you didn't plan.

it would be great if in some sort of testing chamber in the game if we could see a couple of the morphed, unformed and generally just failed experiments/embryos within large fluid filled chamber things. Having said that I definitely prefer the real shark creature to the chicken leg one. :p

That one is pretty creepy. I like the idea of failed specimens.

The Failed Transfer part of Quake 4 was actually pretty damned scary.

Thats more creepy than the normal landshark!

I may never eat chicken again :P

I wont one ;p

@ Muz: Thought about that too - who remembers the chamber with the failed Ripley/Xenomorph-clones from Alien Resurrection that made her scream in terror and burn it all down? Something like that in IM, only bigger... In complete silence, but the footsteps and breathing sounds of the marines can be clearly heard (maybe they are even slightly louder there)... Tension being built up... Then, something shocking which turns out to be harmless, like some piece of lab equipment falling down and making a loud noise, I think that would scare the hell out of players.

uuugh thats disgusting (but still very awesome) (though i prefer your current sharky) :3

@GortosXtreme: my thoughts exactly, Alien Resurrection and probably Umbrella Corporation from the Resident Evil games.

Genetic Engineering is a trial and error process, so it would make sense to see some mutant mutations.

Hey! Looks like shark and tastes like chicken. (sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

This is a pretty scary concept. The limbs look thin and weak but it has a flavour of... abomination / the Thing (by John Carpenter).

KFS : Kencuky Fried Shark

What THE ... are we gonna fight THAT !!!!! XD DAMN... I hope we got some big ass guns to do the job.

Yeah, has some of The Thing in it. Just finished watching it actually :)

@Nocheiner - lol... KFS... Just love that. I wonder which other IM-related junk-food we could come up with :-D

I'm just saying. :D

^ Damnit, I was tired when I made that, and I just noticed that I wrote "FKS" instead of "KFS" ... Typical!

That looks creepy but it would be nice to be at a place where this sharks developed and find one of this creepy ones in there :)

OH DEAR GOD SOMEONE PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY!

I kid i kid, that's pretty awesome, i was afraid there would be only 1 walking shark ;p

it would be cool if the beasts could evolve, it would be harder too but adding as a feature in a pro level would be cool

duuuuuude this one is scary

Listing Picture of the Week articles (sorted by date)