published Friday, 8 April 2011, 18:00 by ZPSHicks

Operations map from Running Man getting a rework for Deadlock and we want you to be with us all the way starting with this "work in progress" image and very soon inside the map in Unity running around gathering a lot of creative feedback!

Full Picture of the Week media section available [here]

Comments

Yust a little question why are there blue boxes?

Hoppfully the Unity demo will be released soon.

Red vs Blue shall become Blue vs Orange! :)

Why not have two colours of boxes, rather than just one?

I like the colours here, it already looks much more colourful than Running Man's environment!
Can't wait for more!

I can just picture myself hiding in the dark, picking of players as they run by.

I don't have anything against more colour but they look like blank Boxes with dummy textures.

Antonio38425144
I don't like people in hiding in corners i often pop a granade there way.
(but i havent heard of granades in this game so i rush you with my knife wait no knife so far, damn)

Like the pic. Clean and Sharp!

Drake: You could headbutt him...or maybe toss out some pheromones to attract the Shark creature....that could actually be pretty awesome.

@ Draker: Actually a knife has been confirmed, and a render of the model has been seen somewhere here as well in a post by Windfeld. (And a retexture by me too!)

On topic: It looks great, neat colour choice. :)
I really like the lamps' glow btw! Good work guys!

Nice lighting. But why are all these maps so clean and sterile? I was hoping for something a little bit more "living", with more assets than just one type of box and some significant areas. Like that investor UE3 demo for example...

Thanks for all the feedback, Marines.

@user47
This is Work in Progress and our challenge of showing content during its creation! :) This look and feel may only be 30% of final quality, but you guys/girls get to journey with us up the quality latter one iteration at the time.

But, please keep your feedback coming, we can take it! :)

I think a few overlays to add bits of detail such as grime, signs and scratches etc would help polish off the look but so far, at this stage, it looks like a good start.

First thought to pop into my head, it's a companion cube! Though red vs orange is the newest rave. Either way it works for me.

I love it. And Blue vs. Orange? Why orange? I must analyze the meaning of the word "orange," including its origins to determine the purpose for its use! lol.

Why is there a violet "glow" thingy (noticed this in other photos as well). It seems to be very thin and hanging at the same hight level as lamp itself and does not change from other angles. Seems unrealistic to me :(

LOL what? that is the light glare, or glow or whatever;) Read this update to get to know more about some of the lighting effects: http://www.interstellarmarines.com/articles/develo
pment/light-prototype-fakegi-part1/

cool lol.

Every WIP picture from the development is welcome :-) I have to mention few things while there is still time. I have noticed one thing that is also present in the faking GI demo. It's never pitch black on the ship, even with no light sources around, there's always some ambient light that makes the terrain "readable". This is not realistic and, reduces contrast a bit and removes the need for a flashlight. Maybe it's a part of a bigger plan with HDR, I don't know... just had to mention that :-) I am also not familiar with the light types available in Unity but the shape of the emitted light doesn't represent the light type. For example lights in the picture above seem to be conical spot lights while the source is a fluorescent with less power but much wider area of effect. This is always a gameplay / eye candy / realism choice so I'm not suggesting a change, just consideration of the other alternatives :-)

And did I say the glows around the lights look fantastic? It's the kind of effects that made the first AvP such a great experience.

ohh it looks so nice I can't wait for deadlock to release

Looks beautiful. Really like the colours. The walls still looks a bit steril, perhaps you could add some kind of bullet damage to them, which could indicate that the facility has been used before. Thats the only bit of constructive criticism I can come up with.

Looks great. Just a little more detail and its done! Great job guys!!!

Cool :)
Blue Team VS. Orange Team ? ... nice something original :)

Good sir(s), I salute you. This is so far a beautifully crafted game, that have the potential to become as popular as Modern Warfare 2. Yes, you heard me, Modern Warfare 2. Keep up the work.
Makes the Danes proud!

Oh, and is there any ETA on the release of Deadlock?

...Craaaaattteeeeeesssssss~ /drool (kidding)
Anyways, this looks a whole boatload better than the last release version of the map.
This is gonna be one EPIC quality game when finished.

I also believe lighting should be a bit more reworked as ClaymoreMD explained. Isn't it possible to use a dummy object as a light source instead ?

Listing Picture of the Week articles (sorted by date)