published Friday, 25 March 2011, 12:00 by ZPSHicks

Somewhere in the Mojave Desert, South Nevada USA, a Megalodon class Dropship is seconds into dust-off, with full thrust on all VTOL exhausts, lifting off violently from one of the top-side launch pads of ITO's Training Grounds. Estimated wheels-down in 40mins inside Docking Bay 2 of AIV Kitty Hawk.

Full Picture of the Week media section available [here]

Comments

Awesome :D

nicely done

I can just refer to my facebook comment here^^

Of all things... The ground is flat. I know this is concept art and that the ground doesn't really matter in those, but in the game, the terrain does matter. Please don't make the majority of the ground flat in the full game! The facility in Running Man was a great flat map, but if the entire game is flat, then that is a problem. Maybe a part of the setting falls apart and the ground is sloped in some areas, there is a huge dirt pile in the hallway, the roof collapses, something. There has been way too many flat mapped games.

It's amazing how artists can draw up concepts so quickly...

Another comment:

Look at Halo 3's "Blackout" map. It looks a lot like the landing pad in this image and can be used for inspiration. Oh... Is it possible to make rounded objects details in Unity? Like the archways and pillars of some building. I've never seen rounded things like that in the Unity engine, it's always square. Orbital, The Pit, Valhalla, and Construct are all great Halo 3 maps to look at for inspiration. They have the same sort of dark, militaristic theme.

Great Artwork, thumbs up !

40 minutes from the surface to a ship in orbit? I know I'm impressed!

Nice picture, can't wait to see that bird in action :-)

"Awesome :D"

Wrong, Bryan, Absolutely Jaw-some!

Yes, I'm glad you guys included the raised vertical takeoff platform, that's a detail you see skipped so much.

And Evan, I don't think you quite understand what you're talking about. Have you ever been to an airfield? I worked as a crew chief at Holloman AFB down in New Mexico. If there's one thing I can tell you about flight lines and deserts, it's that they're big, open, and flat. Same goes with military bases. They avoid complexity, that's why they're set up in the same structures as most small towns. Rooms are square and not terribly embellished. You know, cheap. You don't see arches and pillars and such very often. When fancy arcitecture pops up, you look at it and say "Wow, ain't this swanky" then you get confused and end up late to whatever appointment you're in that building for. Thus, simplicity is good.

NICE !!!!

nice guys
this reminds me of the Pelican dropship from halo
5146/halo/images/3/3d/1219679502_Pelican_dropship_
front.jpg

InfeectedDingo, I do know what a military base looks like, and that is fine for in game. The only problem is in the campaign if it is all flat or during the eminent multiplayer. You've got to expect hills and sudden drops in terrain in the campaign as nature is not flat. From the looks of other concept art, the ground is mostly flat, even in natural places. The IM seem to travel everywhere to new places and not all of them can be the hulls of ships or airfields in a desert where the ground is flat. That is the problem I am talking about. The game needs mountains to climb, rivers to cross, fallen apart insides of ships to clamber around, maybe a torn apart airfield with crash landed ships that are climbable, and maybe even... Maybe... Zero G.

Wouldn't it be terrible if a plane came to land and there was a huge mountain in the runway... I see your point, lol.

Evan;
It's a desert.
The ground is concrete.
You can see the mountains in the distance.
DERP

@Evan & Infected

VTOL. That's all there is to say on this matter. They have a goddamn landing pad there, they don't need perfectly flat ground beneath it.

It looks awesome!
For some reason I have always liked the concept arts and the ones that I have seen in IM are by-far the best ones! Keep up the good work guys!

Awesome. I want one!!!! =D

I would be very interested in the engines that are ment to power these craft.

Also, on a side note; Is it just me, or are there more Frontliners poping up all of a suddern? Have Spearhead accounts run out?

I hope there we will have a multiplayer running man soon, just sayin ;)

Oh, and for those who are complaining about the terrain heres a link of different concept art that has some intense terrain.

ds/screenshots/ss025_1280x720_zps_interstellarmari
nes_conceptart.jpg

Kitty Hawk, Nevada...
I sure hope the game isn't going to be too American. There are enough of those already.

This has very much a feel that it was painted.

Very nice.

Would love to see prints of this sold in different sizes.
Would help Zero Point have another income source to help fuel the development of IM.

Listing Picture of the Week articles (sorted by date)