So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

published Tuesday, 14 June 2011, 12:15 by Kenneth

As I wrote in the last SITREP somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so today is my last day at Zero Point Software.

Just wanted to share an 'everyday moment' with the team during the development of Running Man

For the past two years and eight months Zero Point Software has been my home away from home. I started November 2008 as a Sound Designer with very little experience in games - however I had been working in the music industry for more than ten years as a producer and sound engineer, so audio was not a complete stranger to me.

It was a really big step and a dream come true for me to enter the games industry, which in Denmark is quite small (approx. 500 - 550 full time professionals). The process of getting the job started with me sending Nicolai a mail, where I told him to hire me. He invited me to his office where we talked about music and sound design, and we agreed to keep in touch. I think it was half a year later or so that Nicolai sent me a test, where I should do some sound design for a couple of videos and apparently I did well enough to have some more meetings with him and Kim.

I clearly remember the first meeting with the two founders - we talked about sci-fi, epic music and subtle but realistic sound design. The amount of energy, dedication and strong will from Nicolai and Kim was (and still is) very inspiring and when I left that meeting I felt almost high, riding on their energy-waves.

Anyway - I'm now moving on to a new battlefield. Not because I've grown tired of working here, but because a new challenge presented itself and I wanted to try out some other things in my life. I'll be working as Marketing & PR Coordinator at another independent Danish gamestudio, called Reto-Moto. The game they are working on is called Heroes & Generals and is a persistent browser-based WWII FPS, with strategy-elements, making it kind of a FPS MMO. Should any of you feel like it, please drop in on their community and check out what they're working on - they also use an open development strategy similar to Zero Point Software, and are as such brothers in arms.

So it's with mixed feelings that I'm starting a new job. On one side I'm very excited about the possibilities and new challenges awaiting me, but on the other side I'm also quite sad to leave my friends and colleagues, but not least to leave a dedicated kick-ass community like this!

To Nicolai, Kim, Mikael, Gert, Jess, Anders and all the rest of the people I've been working with at ZPS: I have really learned so much the last couple of years from you guys, and enjoyed every second of it - I love you guys! (in a perfectly manly way ;-)

And to the community: It has been an honor serving with you! I hope that our paths will cross in the future.

Kenneth

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME,
Kenneth

Comments

i think we all hope that kenneth. thanks for the great sound. we will miss. you good luck ?B;-1

Good luck with your new job, and thanks for everything you have done for IM and ZPS!

Thanks for all and good luck.

Sad thing that you leave, because your sound models were really great.
But I wish you a lot of luck in your new job :)

It's a sad day in the gaming industry. I would light a candle for you, if I had any.

It sure was an honour to have you working on IM, you did a masterful job, and I'm glad we got to meet too! Good luck in the future, I hope you'll drop by once in a while in your spare time. :)

Cheers Marine!

May your frequencies always be static free, Kenneth.

May the Bandaxall curve be with you Kenneth :-) I will miss your sound experiments.

Get it on There!

Damn, Kenneth, We'll all miss you. Make sure to give those Reto-Moto guys just as much if not more than you gave us. I bet they'll be happy to have you. I know we all were.

Hope to see you around, Commander.

arrr Crap now the aliens are gonna blow the world up :(

Good luck over there, Kenneth. Always remember to take cover and don't forget:
42.

Hats off and my regards, Kendzi

What a shame. At least you'll stay in game industry. I feared, that you will start doing some pop music, that would suck. Good luck at your new studio.

Good luck in future endeavours. We will all miss you!

Bye Kenneth wish you the best of success.

You will be missed! have fun over there;)

hehe, i'm reading that book right now....

Anyways, good luck with everything your future brings you! You and your sound will most certainly be missed.

Farewell, Kenneth. Best of luck with your new job. I hope you shall one day return the the ZPS team :)

Thank you Kenneth for being with us through the good and bad times. Your prototypes will be missed! Just know that your work with Interstellar marines is truly indivisible! This is not a goodbye though, this is a "See you in deadlock where i will be kicking your ass" message ;). Good luck in your future career!

we will miss him...... (just breaking all these spear head comments.... there not the only community! :D )

Good luck Kenneth, wish you the best at your new post!

Goodbye and good luck Kenneth, i'm going to miss you.

I hope you'll return someday.

Best of luck to ya, bud. Of course, don't take this the wrong way, but I loved all your sound demos so I hope it doesn't work out.

Kenneth, it's sad that you're leaving the ZPS team. As an audiophile and amateur producer, I've always looked forward to your prototypes, and of course hearing back on feedback given. It's not going to be the same without you. Hope the guys at Heroes and Generals know what they're getting. Also, don't be a stranger. I'm sure everybody here wants to trade bullets with you in Deadlock.

Anyway... here's hoping we hear from you soon.

Regards.

I will miss having you develop sound at ZPS. You've made some great sound models and they are truly unique and realistic compared to most other games.

good luck on all of your future endeavors Kenneth.

Don't forget to return when you have the time :)

toodles ken - no doubt you'll be leaving a void

may all your games be good ones.

:( We will miss you cause of the music :( but good luck on the job :)

do you rly want to know the answer to the ultimate question? ok.... 42
live long and prosper

Listing Off Topic articles (sorted by date)