Winner of the Banner Competition

published Tuesday, 7 Dec. 2010, 00:00 by Kenneth

The Banner Competition is over, aaaand the winner is....

The competition

Our first community competition is now over. The goal was to create an official Interstellar Marines banner, which can be used for linking to interstellarmarines.com on other sites.

The entries

We have received 80 entries from 20 different community members, which is actually more than we had hoped for! And the quality is overall quite high - we had a difficult time choosing the winner, but we narrowed it down to six "finalist-banners" and ended up with...

The winner

We have decided to select two winners, because we find that these two banners complement each other quite well. We see them as the "Yin/Yang" of the banner competition - the marine vs. the shark creature.

bchick222

This banner is quite clean, stylish and smooth in it's design, and delivers the message without any distractions. It also goes well on a black background, but also on white, as the banner is held in grey (except at the marines forehead) instead of all white.

Marcos_Khan_501

This banner is not as clean and stylish as the other, but instead it speaks to our feelings. We feel that the nature of the shark creature is quite well captured and also projected through the message with the red blod-like "You Will Believe" text. The small sparkle on one of the teeth just emphasizes the deadlyness of this dreaded foe.

To sum it up

Congratulations to the winners - bchick222 is now upgraded to Spearhead, and Marcos_Khan_501 can upgrade one of his friends to Spearhead, as he already is a Spearhead. (A mail has been sent to both winners)

To be honest - we probably wouldn't have designed the banners either way if we were to make a banner ourselves, as we feel quite bound to a certain design, but this just shows the power of having a community like you out there! You help us break our own boundaries, which is indeed a very cool thing for us!

Click here to download a .zip with the official Interstellar Marines banners.

Runner ups (in no particular order)

BadPrankster

Siepher

Bearman

We have the depest respect for all of the contestants, and hope you'll all join us in the next competition!

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME,

Comments

Congrats to the winners! Well done!

A lot of really high quality banners...must have been hard to choose :)

Congrats to the winners! In my opinion these are not the best, but respect to all contestants.

Well done indeed. Good job guys! Oh well shucks, there goes my Spearhead lol xD

But yeah, i expect it was very hard to choose.

Congratulations. These are not my favorite ones, but aren't bad either:). Especially the first one is cool.

Congratulations!

Both of them are really good.

I'm also glad to see I had two runner ups. If I have to criticise my own work, I'd say the text on the my second runner up is horrible, and I wonder why you chose it. :P

Congratulations to all. :D

Congratulations you two. I don't quite like the second but the first is nice.

Congrats to the winners. I really liked Siepher's first runner up, but the winners also did a great job :)

Congratulations to the winners! The competition was fun I look forward to the next!

I'm going to say it as it is: I'm quite disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the winning banners are nice and all but they didn't deserve a win. And no, neither were mine worthy of winning.

But congrats I guess.

Congrats guys, i really believe the dev really had a hard time choosing the winners there were some really good banners, i also comprehend there reasons for choosing that banners. One more time congrats guys and welcome to the spearhead rank. :)

@MAG1270
It sounds like zps had a good reason for choosing the winners. I guess we all have/had picked our personal winners so no matter what someone would have your feeling :)

very good choice guys

\o/.....what can I say, I'm honored....love you all :)

I have to admit those banners have some very good ideas. I like all of them, not just the winners. It had to be a really hard decision.

Congratulations (is that the way you spell it? :-p)

It looks AWESOME!!

I just feel stupid now :-p I have just ben a place where you learn about Photoshop and i created a really really awesome poster of a movie that does not exist (lol.. :-p)

So yeah.. Well.. GZ any way :-) It is some REALLY great work :-)

Congratulations to the winners!!

Congrats :) These are some nice banners!

nice banners and nice choices. they indeed make justice to the concept with which they were chosen. congratulations!

Dang, missed out, but those are some good choices that do compliment each other (I would've picked one of them myself). Congratulations guys.

So, Marcos_Khan_501, who's the Spearhead upgrade going to?

A good friend of mine ( and TRS clan member ) has also been following Interstellar Marines for over a year now, so I'm sure he'll be very happy with the Spearhead upgrade :)

@ Marcos_Khan_501: remember to mail me his username.

/Kenneth

@Kenneth : your e-mail ? I don't see it under your profile....

I have already sent you a mail - please check your spam folder, or send a mail to "contact (at) zeropointsoft (dot) com".

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Personally, I liked the one by Siepher that is listed first (the one with the soldiers face with the planet in the background). I have been following this game for a long time, just lurking forum-wise. But yeah, thanks again!

Congratulations to the winners! Yin / Yang - Theme is a great idea!

Congrats to the winners! I love those banners :)

this to bchick222 could I post you banner on my clan site i will give you credit for it and say it is yours and not mine.

@IgrLegend

Sure, that's what they are for! Thanks for asking though! Spread the IM word!

thanks here is the link to the site:http:
//igr360.ephpbb.com/portal.htm

you will know who I am on the site. The clan leader is IGR Relapse Fm if you do sign up tell me your name so that I will get credit for recruiting you. Oh yeah also site activity has been low since school started.

Listing News articles (sorted by date)