Outlining the Kickstarter script

published Wednesday, 29 Aug. 2012, 17:50 by heks

As we posted a while back, things are changing at Zero Point Software and, for those of you who haven't heard, we are now working intently on creating a project to be pitched on Kickstarter in the beginning of October.

It's been a while since our last update on the website and we just wanted to let you know that we're still alive!

A lot of things have happened over the last couple of months of which, most importantly, we've started work on creating a project for the Kickstarter platform. For those of you who don't know (probably not that many of you) it's a portal for creative people to pitch their projects and get funded via the community.

This means that for the next couple of months we, Kim and Mikael, will be focused solely on assuring the success of the Kickstarter project, and we hope our beloved community will help us in achieving this.

More on all this as we go.

Kim in the midst of envisioning the final changes to the Kickstarter script

For more details on the "why", "when" and "how" - check out this forum thread.

Comments

2 years, 1 month ago

I think this phrase is in order:

I STILL BELIEVE

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME :
DO YOU STILL BELIEVE ?
I DO BELIEVE.

Over and out,
Warman56qw/ DaDustInMyPants/ nikmyth and a couple other names i use &
Srgt.Duty reporting for Duty. ;)

2 years, 1 month ago

Kim, if there's anything I can do to help, then let me know ASAP! :) I believe you still got my e-mail? And this is in all seriousness, if there's something you can use me for, let me know!

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME!

I still belive too.
I pre-orderd that game , because i think i am going to love that .

Yea i still believe.

Not much else to say just keep going.

2 years, 1 month ago

Soldier on ZPS! Fingers/toes/eyes crossed all goes well over the next few months!

2 years, 1 month ago

I BELIVE TOO :D keep up the good work.

2 years, 1 month ago

for the love of the game!!!!

2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the support guys!

Thanks Kosai106, we'll see what is possible!

2 years, 1 month ago

Commander Hicks, only the sky is the limit! If it wasn't because we had just planted a probe on Mars. :)

2 years, 1 month ago

Is about time really, i hope all the success in the kickstarter project i will certainly help in spreading the word has always. :)

2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you Argoon. Only I wouldn't have said its about time, even though I think so myself. Seems a bit harsh.

I look foward to when the Kickstarter project is launched. I'm quite optimistic about its success. And now the famous line. I still believe.

:o Nice!

Good jobs guys! Still believing, won't ever stop!

BELIEVE AND DONT DO ANYTHING ELSE JUST BELIEVE

Keep going guys. I started following you when I was just starting community college for Game Design I think(didn't sign up for a while), I haven't exactly flogged up much support over that time (damn friends), but if you get this Kickstarter up I will personally send the tip in to Dtoid and give whatever information to curious commenters in any article they post on it. (Because I'm broke :V). And drag my ungrateful underlings into this to do the same.(They're mostly broke too!)

Keep on going!I found this game 1 year and 9 months ago and have been following it since.

@Wret Talk about taking one for the team! :)Thanks a million in advance!

You can do it. Keep on going, Dont give up

i belive

When you launch the Kickstarter project - you absolutely MUST have thought out Stretch Goals! One of them could well be opening ODD up to public. Another of getting more famous developers on the team (definitely want Anders & Nicolai back).

You guys should also join up the Kickstarter community early to get a feel for it. Useful "tool" to remember is clicking on the Campaign-owners name and proceeding to their full profile page where one can see their "Recent activity" - helps you see their posts in the comments (that usually are flooded). KickTraq is also a must know tool. ( http://www.kicktraq.com ) Another useful place is KickStarter's own stats page: http://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

Next up a few examples of failed Kickstarter projects (mind them - still hugely successful - but with better campaign management they could have easily doubled or even tripled their achieved funding): OUYA & CastleStory
uya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console
http://
www.kickstarter.com/projects/902505202/castle-stor
y

Then you should look at two campaigns with perhaps all time best campaign management on Kickstarter: Republique and Reaper Bones Miniatures. Republique pulled up slack on their last week to achieve their needed funding rocketpowering them from something like 60% to over 100%. The last days of their campaign were truly phenomenal. Reaper on the other hand was successful beyond anybody's wildest dreams - but the managers still had stretch goals planned beyond $4mil.. (Though I think they planned the majority of those midway of the campaign.) Remember now that the awesome stretch goals picture was only a tiny one at the beginning and they drew and updated it on the run! (As more content got unlocked they update the existing front page pictures.)
6250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan
kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatu
res-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min

In conclusion: When starting the campaign be earnest and open, show your passion. In game related campaigns it's a must to show gameplay footage and your seriousness of involvement - it's also a good idea to reassure that the project is going to happen whether the campaign is success or not. Show your faces on the pitch video as well - if you have props or a good idea for a creative script - go for it! ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clan
g )
Plan and prepare for the overfunding, have at least five stretch goals and be prepared to unveil new ones as needed. I think it's still up for debate whether it's a good idea to reveal the first stretch goals before the funding is actually achieved or not. (At least one won't get disappointed by having all the work on planning wasted if one reveals them from the start - in case the project faces difficulties in getting funded at all.)

Well good luck and let's hope you don't end up running against another Reaper at the same time.. (They sure drained my bank account.. >.< On a tight budget for this month without the ability to support Kickstarts..)

[Had to edit and split my post a bit due to 3k symbol restriction.]

..darn symbol limit messed up my thoughts a bit - forgot to mention the existence of "Kick it Forward" - movement on Kickstarter that consists of giving 5% of your future profits back to Kickstarter - though it's not that popular in the game related campaigns. Remember that the Kickstarter already gets 5% from the pledged amount and Amazon grabs another 5% (or was it 10%?). The funds will also take at least half a month to transfer to campaign owners - and there's probably a possibility of taxation too. It's also a good idea to have a PayPal account (and similar - like bitcoins) set up on the side for those that want to participate, but can't due to problems with Amazon/not having a credit card.

Well, hopefully finally over and out, ~Zael

For the love of the game.

I believe, and more will follow.

Keep up the good work. I have faith that you'll make this awesome. Everyone should support your efforts. Good luck.

Spreading the word, those who are blind will soon believe.

This is probably not the place to ask this (I just found out about this game today and ready to use up all of the money left in my wallet to get Spearhead after seeing just those few minutes of gameplay) But anyways, will you be planning on making this game work with the Oculus Rift? (New virtual reality headset Kickstarter Project that recently succeeded and was supported by Epic Games and Gabe Newell)

If so, I am soo certain this game will be awesome and immersive that I will consider lending my one to you if you haven't or can't get one (I donated $300 + $30 shipping to get a Developer's Kit (The actual Oculus Rift, Documentation and etc.), even though I'm not a developer xD)

Listing News articles (sorted by date)