Lessons Learned in Open Door Development

published Thursday, 20 Sept. 2012, 19:00 by heks

Sit back, relax and enjoy ten minutes of unfiltered lessons in Open Door Development seen from the eyes of Zero Point Software.

A while back we gave a presentation with the title Lessons Learned in Open Door Development at the European Creative Business Network's 5th media conference.

The feedback after the presentation was great and people were genuinely intrigued by our open and honest talk about our struggles and experiences throughout all these years, so we decided to recreate the presentation in a 10 minute video, and share it for the greater good.

We hope that our ups and downs will inspire other like-minded people out there to never give up on their dreams.

Please enjoy!

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME,
Your team at Zero Point Software

Comments

awesome. Not much else to say.

Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks for sharing it, it was good to listen to.

Hm, i had known that you guys were in development for a while. and that you had run into difficulties and had to restart but i don't think I've ever heard the full story.
This, this presentation would be immensely valuable on your kickstarter page. so that people will hear your full story instead of fragmented negative bits from random commenters. Y'know like "oh they've been in development for 7 years" and "oh why haven't they already got a game out?"

that was indeen admireable. and nice to get a bit of backstory behind you guys. i knew that the finacial crisis had a huge impact but i didn't know what that impact was.
i really hope you guys pull it through with all your honesty.
btw it really sucks that Steam Greenlight has removed the % counter cuss you guys were on the top 3 spot along with Heros and Generals who eventually got greenlit.
I still believe, and hope that kickstarter will help you meet your goals. if not, at least create a lot of buzz.

Kickstarter or not i think the community will be there to help, advise, and guide you in a right direction.

FtLotG WE STILL BELIVE.

Cool.
Thanks for all the recent communication and updates! You really took on the community hat after summer as promised Heks! :)

Such a fantastic video!
I really liked it, I can't wait to see what you have planned for the Kickstarter =)

I want to say that this was very touching to me and I think I have fallen in love with you guys.

I love IM!
Do you?

I also like this team Tekoppen i like any true indie team that is open and honest.

Guys this video was very good and i also concur that you should put this on your kickstarter page.

And has always i still believe that this can be achieved.

@ZPS: I believe you guys are creating the definition of Open Door Development, pioneering in what could be the future financial model for developers that don't want to lose their IPs to giant publishers.

I agree with everyone else, this video should be presented in the KickStarter initiative. It shows what ZPS is and has been through, it talks about the passion for achieving a dream.

In a world of war and turmoil where we often see deception and lies, it is refreshing to see honesty and openness. More than an example, I think you guys are an inspiration to continue building dreams into reality no matter the odds.

Never give up, you will survive.

-Leowolf-

It is indeed an inspiration to see a goodhearted, honest, passionate bunch of guys just trying to achieve their dream in a business that can often be very cold towards innovation and independent development. This video really was inspirational. I love the project, the team, and the message. You guys are amazing! Keep it up!

I believe...

This was made for the Kickstarter page, right? Because it sure seems like it. And if you didn't make it for that page, then please do put it on the page.

Great presentation and overview, Kim.

Brought up a lot of memories :E

Keep kicking ass!

THIS video should be part of the kickstarter video page as well. Make sure that you not only have a great main video but also that you link all the cool stuff that you have produced over the years but especially THIS video.
Oh and... clean up the webpage a bit.

Thanks guys, we really appreciate it!

@Keavon: No it was not made with the Kickstarter campaign in mind, but like you suggested we should add it as info and details somewhere on the page!

@Bokaja .. What the hell, Spearhead and all, you know we miss you always, I hope Iceland is treating you well, Viking You! ;)

Bokaja! \o/ <3

is there anyway the community can help? For example, donating time/talents in anyway? Maybe making fan art or something to generate revenue ?

Being ambitious I guess. Not actually being able to donate money, all i have to offer is ideas.

I almost cried.

Great video guys, don't give up!
FtLotG.
we still believe.

I am not able to give any money for you guys, but I will spread the words of your great and fantastic group of developer on my friend list and everywhere where I can. I hope you will be able to achieve your dream and you remind me of Blizzard, you take your time to create the best, not something that will simply give you money.

Great video, and I STILL BELIEVE!

Nice one, guys.

Don't give up - there's a shipload of (prospective) Interstellar Marines that STILL BELIEVE in you!

Thanks a lot!! we REALLY REALLY apreciate all your honesty and never change that! WE STILL BELIEVE!!!

Giving this vid to notch to see if he can rally up some support! :P

We still believe!

Listing News articles (sorted by date)