Log Entry 013: Competitions and fundraising

published Monday, 22 Nov. 2010, 00:00 by Kenneth

It's time for an update from your favourite developer team - we bring you competitions, pictures, (almost) awards, the latest numbers and other news from our secret lab...

image
Remember The Vault? Our first release on interstellarmarines.com

Still fundraising

Yes, we are still in the process of raising money for the next release. Most of our time goes into writing businessplans, strategy- and investor-meetings, production-estimates, and design of the next release. We have managed to secure some of the funding for the next release, but we are still not in a position where we can start up the production-mill.

Weekly initiatives

As some of you might have noticed we have started two weekly initiatives: Picture of the Week, and Question of the Week. The concept of Picture of the Week is that each Monday we'll post a new picture from our production - it could be concept art, testrenders, office pictures, etc. The first Question of the Week was born out of curiosity about which expectations our community have for Interstellar Marines in general, and also to get to know your preferences a bit more. Your input and the discussions we've had on the forum is pure and utter GOLD to us, so if you promise to continue this line we'll try to come up with new interesting questions each Wednesday!

Banner Competition

A little more than two weeks ago we started a banner competition, and to this date we have received 60 banners from 14 community members. We are once again very impressed by the level of commitment you put into our project! The deadline for the competition is Friday the 3rd of December 2010 so there is still time for you to give it a shot.

Indie DB

Vote for us in IndieDB/ModDB competition

Indie DB runs their 1st Annual Indie of the Year awards, where we urge you to vote for us. There are two phases - Phase 1 which runs for 8 days more from now, and later Phase 2, there the top 50 games compete for the "Players Choice Awards".
To vote for us you should go here and click on the vote button - you don't need to sign up to vote.

Unity Awards 2010

Bullseye was awarded second prize (runner-up) at Unity awards 2010 in the category "Best Visual Design". Congratulations to "The Uncanny Fish Hunt" by "Uncanny Games" who won this category, and congratulations to all Unity Awards 2010 winners.

A steady growth of registered users since 1st of August.

Numbers

We now have 52.661 registered users, 873 Spearheads and 83 Frontliners and the total sum of Support Medals is 1425.

Other news

• Aevaris has created an amazing leaderboard, as well as some other really cool features on his own site - Big ups from the bottom of our developer-hearts!!!

• Italian gamer site Cyberludus has recently posted an interview with Kim (ZPSHicks)

• Unity's annual developer conference "Unite" has just been held. Watch the keynote to see what they are up to. Remember to check out part B, for a cool Jesse Schell session about future game character design.

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME,

Comments

Hmm.. It gets on the site before it get to the mails.. I live in Denmark and i havent gotten it yet.. (The time is 13:39 now)

I have checked my spam folder too but there isn't eny new mails.. :-/ Is it seppose to be like that?

<3 thanks for the shoutout, if you guys at ZPS or the community at large wants any more features, let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen.

As pertaining to this update. Stellar guys, keep up the good word. I hope you secure your funding soon so we can start whomping eachother in MP XD. I also love PotW and QotW, so I hope to see those continued :)

@ Mtsmts, I dunno, I don't think I have ever received a newsletter from IM. I catch it on my facebook first tbh.

Aevaris deserves the shoutout, lol.

Thanks for the update. I hope you can secure funds for development. And a POTW may include a picture of the office? I want that one, lol.

I will team up mit Tacticalspoon to battle Aevaris and Siepher as soon as possible.

Sounds good. Can you give us an idea on how much of the funding for the next chapter you have? I mean does "some" refer to 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and how much longer would you estimate until work on the next playable chapter begins? Thanks in advance. :)

@muz333 I'd direct you to this thread: http://www.interstellarmarines.com/forum/threads/i
d/905/

Although, the most correct answer would be "when its done". Although, I agree that I wish they would be a little more open with their spearheads as to how far they are. No matter if the number is good or bad, us spears and fronts are not going to be dissuaded and a good number of us would certainly like to know :-P.

@GortosXtreme hey, who decided me and Siepher were a team? But if thats what you want, it will be Claw-Plach! (source: http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Claw-Plach)

Team? I'm a lone wolf.

Thanks for the update ZPS, glad to see there's still signs of life in the office. ;)

Siepher, tell me about it. But that doesn't bode well for settings such as this or 2v2 Claw-Plach. And it would seem it would then boil down to a 2v1v1, and the enemy of my apparent enemy is my friend. Just to even the odds at the least. Then afterwards we can go our separate ways or battle to the death leaving one :-P

Even article comments cannot stay on topic very long on this site.

I am very amused.

shiny object

Hey, I am very good at paying attention and keeping on topic. Unless of course someone brings out a...

OO SHINY OBJECT!

@Aevaris

Yeah, I wouldn't be put off if they said it would be months until they start the next chapter or not, just curious as to where about in a very rough estimate we are talking about. :)

@Muz333 Snap! Good sir you suddenly put us back on topic. Well done. :-P

It is hard to say since, at best, we only have speculation and it could be anywhere between tomorrow and 6 months. In the previous log entry, we saw a picture of very very very basic pre-alpha multiplayer. So, work has already been put into it somewhat. However, in this log they said they need more money before they start work on the next slice. And then to throw in another fun factoid they also said in the investor brief that their eta for the next slice would be October 2010, although that brief did not take into account delays due to investor searching.

So, you can throw all that together however you want. I suspect it'll be a couple months from the time they find some solid investors.

oooooooooooooooooooo sparkly object

Thanks for the update guys! Hope to see that you get your fundi- OOOOOHHHH SPARKLY OBJECTTTT!

@Avevaris

Yeah, I'm in complete understanding about the need for solid investors and the likes. In truth I wasn't expecting any news but I thought I'd have a cheeky wee dig and ask anyway, you never know, these guys have surprised me before!

OOH! SHINY!

Anyways, I thought I was supposed to be the bait while someone else shot weirdoo. Huh, I realize that plan would involve me getting weirdoo'd.

Listing News articles (sorted by date)