Update 17: Welcome On Board
published Monday, 9 Feb. 2015, 00:00 by ZPSPhyrefli
A free week on Steam, enhanced tactical movement with sprinting, a new introduction level and a host of additions and bug fixes are all waiting for you to unwrap and play in Update 17.
Update 17: Welcome On Board!
Every new year should blast off with something exhilarating, so for this update we're moving you along at a blistering speed with the addition of the new sprint movement mode AND a free week on Steam!
We're holding the free week on Steam from Feb 9th to 16th for everyone to play Interstellar Marines. You can also purchase Interstellar Marines at a 66% discount during the free week. We're proud of how far Interstellar Marines has developed, and we feel the time is right to invite the wider gaming community in to try it out. To install and play Interstellar Marines for free, just open your Steam games library and you'll see Interstellar Marines in there from Feb 9th to Feb 16th.
We've added sprint in this update as part of a much wider improvement to our character controller in order to add more depth to tactical movement. But use sprint carefully, as you're unable to fire when sprinting, leaving you open to being shot without being able to immediately respond. We've also worked hard on the accuracy and stamina systems, so although sprinting can get you rapidly from A to B, it's also going to affect your firing accuracy when you reach your destination. You need to think ahead, Marine, and plan your movement wisely!
The second focus for Update 17 has been to make it easier for new players to quickly enjoy Interstellar Marines. We've added a comprehensive introduction level enabling new (and not so new!) players to learn how to get the most out of playing the game. And as a small gift for going through the tutorial we've also added a Steam achievement for completing it.
And finally for this update we've worked hard to fix a number bugs, as well as adding many features, all designed to assist and enable new players to get to grips with Interstellar Marines as quickly as possible.
Introducing Hell Week
Our next phase of development for Interstellar Marines is Hell Week, a hugely important part of your training as an Interstellar Marine. Just as when we built The NeuroGen Incident, this phase will cover several updates over the next few months.
Hell Week is a trial where you face off against up to 63 other aspirants in several interlinked, AI-controlled artificial arenas. As Hell Week progresses AI SARA will weed out the weaker players, leaving only the strongest to fight it out at the end. You will need to rely on your tactical acumen, wits and drive to succeed to make it through Hell Week. If you manage it though, the rewards are enormous.
We set out at the start of Update 17 with a clear guiding light: to make Interstellar Marines as easy to understand and play as possible for new players.
The new tutorial level is a key part of that mission. We've added a lot of content and features over the past few months, and we've had feedback that jumping straight into the game can be a bit overwhelming for new players. Besides, it also gave us the chance to dust off the Bullseye target and use that in a mission ;)
We also took the chance to put in some serious work on the accuracy, stamina and sprint systems. This has resulted in a major shift in how movement works, making it far more tactical and thought-provoking. You can get to places really quickly now, but the penalty for that is a decrease in accuracy. We're very much looking forward to your feedback on how the new movement works!
Released: 6th February 2015
- ADDED: New Introduction Mission: Welcome To Project IM
- ADDED: Early iteration of the Accuracy, Stamina and Sprint changes. These changes will be completed in Update 18
- ADDED: Hell Week introduction video and sign up form to main menu
- ADDED: Admins can now change multiplayer map from in-game
- ADDED: Spawn locations of power boxes in Operations are now completely randomised
- ADDED: Server browser is split into Coop and Multiplayer servers for easier and quicker browsing
- ADDED: Chat is now logged on a per-server basis
- ADDED: Warning message given to players joining a high-ping server
- ADDED: New hit detection is default on servers
- ADDED: Spearhead icon now shows for Spearhead players on singleplayer scoreboards
- ADDED: Several new Steam achievements
- ADDED: Several new TP rewards
- ADDED: List of TP rewards in the Profile tab, removed outdated list from levelcam view
- UPDATED: The NeuroGen Incident re-built as version 3. Improved map, resolved several issues, improved performance, added mercenary bots to different team, reworked several areas of the map
- UPDATED: Server browser filters are now expanded by default
- UPDATED: In-game chat function now allows multiple lines
- UPDATED: Several additions to stats tracking
- UPDATED: Arch to ensure players cannot glitch out of the map
- UPDATED: New reticule for the Assault Rifle
- Some new achievements and TP rewards may not work. We're investigating
- Not all new achievements have icons, we'll add next week
- New achievements do not show up within the in-game Profile tab. We will add these soon
- The HUD names and kill messages will be clipped on aspect ratios that are less wide than 16:10
- The game will stop updating when switching out of fullscreen in Windows (known bug in Unity 4)
- View jittering may occur when jumping on lossy networks
- Audio may cut off partially/completely on weapon/helmet sounds
- Other players will seem to float above or interpenetrate while standing on a moving dynamic platforms (network smoothing will exaggerate this effect)
- Potential to fall through elevator when moving
- FIXED: "Keycard in crew quarter in NGI sometimes not appearing"
- FIXED: "Inability to revive in multiplayer maps other than Dynacore"
- FIXED: "Logs can only be played once in NGI"
- FIXED: "Death skull now shows for bots in Playground maps"
- FIXED: "No more floating bots at the start of Stronghold Coop"
- FIXED: "Incorrect collision on tunnels near NGI research mainframe"
- FIXED: "No extraction marker on Starcrown"
- FIXED: "No extraction marker on Colony if you leave and rejoin during a match"
- FIXED: "Bots sometimes not appearing in single player"
- FIXED: "The 'no run/crouch' triggers occasionally cause permanent 'no run/crouch'"
- FIXED: "Multiplayer scoreboard styling"
- FIXED: "Difficulty in single player sometimes incorrect after playing co-op"
- FIXED: "Revived players experiencing black screens"
- FIXED: "Cargo elevators in NGI have crate shadows above them"
- FIXED: "HUD difficulty text not going offline when HUD goes down"
- FIXED: "Bots spawning and instantly dying in NGI research"
- FIXED: "Exiting the coop poster now works"
- FIXED: "Revive no longer completes if reviving player is killed"
- FIXED: "Spawn time is now accurate when waiting to spawn in Deadlock"
- FIXED: "Players not correctly first person spectating other players when dead"
Head on over to our Steam store page and check it out!
FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME,
Your team at Zero Point Software