Scoring for Deadlock: Initial Idea - Continued

published Thursday, 22 Sept. 2011, 13:50 by Reese

Sit back and relax (again) as we continue the music composing journey from the initial idea, and all the way to the finished music score in all its glory.

Deadlock banner
imageDownload or Listen to Interstellar Marines: Idea 05 "Commencement" (320 kbit, mp3)
imageDownload or Listen to Interstellar Marines: Idea 06 "The Colony" (320 kbit, mp3)

imageDownload finished music

Please ignore quality issues such as low volume and mixing, it's work in progress and intended primarily as testing out various ideas as we progress with Interstellar Marines:Deadlock

image

Initial idea -> Composing-> Arrangement adjustments -> Mixing -> Mastering

image

- Read the last music blog here

The ideas continues

Greetings marines,

The continuation of the promised music development blog is finally a reality and welcome to the first (of many, hopefully) ongoing music updates and releases of Interstellar Marines music scores.

These updates will feature music which should be considered solely as work in progress, and is primarily just about trying out various ideas and establishing a continuously growing music library. So please bare with the lack of professional mixing (low volume etc. - there's no need for spending studio time and money if we haven't decided whether to use the music or not :)

We're finally back from vacation, booting things up with a special Picture of the Week, from the magic hand of Mr. Jesper Andersen (Aka ScribbleHEAD) which have sent us a few concept tests, based his interpretation of our Art Direction for the artificial caves of ITO Training Grounds. We love all his ideas and are very much looking forward to iterating the concept further in close cooperation with what is already established by Mr. Von Cotta.

Music style criterias from Kim when I started out scoring for these particular pieces:

• Sunshine, Batman Begins and Inception

- which basically means lot of synth's combined with traditional classical instruments. I've tried to use the two themes from Running Man and Bullseye as foundation, but using a slightly different approach this time.

Of course I have my own thoughts in regards to where these scores could/should be used, but I would like to get your feedback and ideas of where they might fit in regards to Interstellar Marines as a whole or Deadlock, and the musical style.

All the best and thank you for reading,

Nicolai (Reese),
"Sound makes it real; music makes you feel"

Comments

I'm usually not too big of a fan of background music, but this definitely fits. I especially like The Colony.

I don't like the beginning of commencement, maybe it's some slight brass tune fluctuation or the brass needs more backup in form of other instruments. The 2nd half is great, I find the synthetic instruments mixed with acoustic ones very successful in creating the real sci-fi feeling.

The colony is pure 10/10 yeargasm. Some finishing touches on the loud part are needed but even from this wip it's obvious that it will count to the very best in gaming soundtracks. Thank you for this blog entry, it's really great stuff :-)

First one takes me of to an opening shot, ships in the air, all very epic. The Colony is more of a stealth covert mission type of soundtrack.

If I had to choose I would put the colony with Deadlock, but that wouldn't fit because it lacks a bit in pace.

But the both do fit in the style you already set so that's perfect:)

Also I think you should keep in mind that my subwoofer had a hard time handling The Colony, the low is reeeaaally low :P

I always love a good song to get me up and going before and in a game, and I certainly can't wait for the whole soundtrack ^_^

I have only on concern; that you'll spend all your good ideas at the slices xD
I hope you're planning on reusing the scores from the slices in the actual game, becasue they are jawsome.

But my opinion regarding the scores for deadlock... I think the Bullseye BGM was epic, and it fits better to Dead lock, it's more like "Sh*t's going down now". Anyway, those in this post are sweet, but I had imagined a little more offensive style to it. It's like the two former slices were adrenaline kicks for the marine, but now he's facing death.

@ Split_Second: He's not facing death... Yet. You will be fighting with special bullets, designed to be non-lethal. :)

Oh, right, my bad, but you get my point...

"The colony" was quite good! But as a mood track Commencement does the job very well as well. I did however notice that they seem a bit slower in tempo than bullseye and the other early bits we heard... depending on the gameplay that might be very good or not so good ;)

Thanks for sharing Reese!! Now I will wait a bit more before starting to whine about more content again :D

Commencement is a big intro into space.The camera pan from a planet and look into space. You have the game title. A giant-spaceship-fly-by scene. Then you follow a small ship that circles around and docks at the larger ship.

The colony is on a foreign planet out in nature. The plant life is strange. It's night and you walk with your flashlight through the bushes. You are going uphill. suddenly are you clear of the bushes and stops. You find yourself on the edge of a steep cliff overlooking and giant forest with mist floating over the treetops.

Just my thoughts I wrote down while listening to the tracks. I really love the piano part of Colony and the gusts of wind type of sounds!

When my eyes saw BAT I thought Danny Elfman then my hopes shattered over "Begins"; both great tracks, either way.

&feature=related

Some that I like from other composer,Michael Giacchino, and what he do here:

to compare

really liked the "Commencement" track (nice and moody) - imagined the marines getting ready for battle and this kicking off in the background, like it! :)

great!

The Colony was my favorite, had a peaceful feel to it, almost like a lullaby.

Colony felt real 'spacey' with a bit of horror. Reminded me of bioshock a bit.
Only gripe was that it was slow to get into.