Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 2

published Friday, 13 May 2011, 15:00 by ZPSHicks

Activate your inferred helmet enhancements, equip your sound suppressors and coordinate the mission with your team: Infiltrate Operations, secure all way-points without being detected by 'SARA' and take out all opposing forces standing in your way.

Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 2
Iteration 2 is finally online and have been expanded with combat arena 2 which we hope can successfully house initial game-modes such as infiltrate, domination, capture-the-flag and player vs all in crammed tactical close quarter combat.

DevBlog: Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 1 available [here]

• Warning:
  • Open Door Development is ALL about showing "Work in Progress" ... We hope you can take it! :)
  • Warning:
  • This Prototype is not optimized for optimal performance so if you're "playing" on a small notebook, please do not expect the best frame-rates in the world!
  • Warning:
  • Deferred lighting is calculated based on how many pixels light influence pr. frame, so be sure to set the resolution if your native default is too high!

Combat arena 2

Inside Arena 2 I've tried to create a mall-like walkway structure which invites for some serious vertical combat creating a small atrium which can hopefully house a few cool capture/dominate game-modes at the bottom.

When we get more resources we will create more props for e.g. cover, our crates are OK but we need more diversity all one small step at the time.

Layout overview

The two interconnection rooms (3-4) are still in their crude implementation and next iteration should arrive at a more complete (still very unpolished) layout which we just can't wait to test, play and iterate further on with you guys and girls.

Small performance optimization (Deferred Lighting and Shadows)

The green ball in the background do not cast shadows, because the spot light above it have a script that fade out and turn of shadows on a set distance
We've recently learned from Unity that objects (set to cast shadows) are currently NOT being occluded in Unity 3.3 (occluded mean that objects are not "drawn" when behind other objects) in the current deferred lighting implementation. This basically mean that a light far away casting shadows on objects that ARE occluded .. still have to calculate a shadow pass each frame making shadows very performance heavy at the moment.

To ease this performance issue in its current state, Heks have created a cool little script allowing you to set an outer and inner radius on all shadow casting lights, which then fade out the shadow over distance, ultimately turning off shadows completely .. a small boost in performance making shadows possible on high-end gaming PC's.

Take the map for a spin and keep trying to visualize running around fighting other Marines in tense close-quarter tactical combat and do not hesitate to give us ALL your feedback! - There is no stupid questions or bad ideas .. just hit us with everything you got in the comments below.

DevBlog: Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 1 available [here]

For the love of the game!
/ZPSHicks

Comments

Seriously, I love you guys.

We love you all! .. and seriously, if we had to describe the amount of love we feel for our community I know that the Internet would crash from having to store such a large text-file! :)

Drools , niiiiice!

To make a comment which isn't just about pure man-to-man love: I really like that the rooms is so different from each other. As you've said yourself, it will make up for some fun and intense CQC situations.

And nice touch in the settings menu with the "Vertex lit" option. It allowed me, on my ancient pc, to run around smoothly. :) Is that something you just added, or am I just blind?

Just a thought, but when Deadlock is released can we have a "No lights, No nightvision" mode? Walking around with the Marine/Shark in front of me makes me thing it would be entertaining and educational.

Wow that Map is getting better an better.

just two things.
The marines need to be textured.
And can we have a gun please, cause i want to shoot those sharks.

@Kosai106 "Vertex lit" was already an option in Iteration 1.

@ZPSHicks Just don't try describing it cause if you do you would not be able to finisch IM in the next century.

Minor niggles: I'd like to see level/floor indicators.

Similarly, I'd like to see indicators on the walls that would point one toward the up/downstairs passageways.

These are just simple contextual things that I think would boost immersion whilst making navigation a bit more natural.

As before my complaint is that there are many "dead" spaces where people can just camp out, but I can't tell for certain whether they would be unbalancing unless I had a hands-on

Godd job guys!!

Nice :) Press "M" > A soldier :P
Press "C" > A Shark :P
Nice ! Y love ZPS !

woow, the new combat arena looks awesome! cant wait to play this.

also i noticed theres a small part wall you can kinda see through.
[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/23kaqs5.png[/IMG]

Wheres the HDR?! xP

@Getz2oo3: If you're talking about the bloom and glow post process effect then its Off on default same for SSAO and the default render mode is "Forward" to present marines on slower machines with a OK first impression. "1" and "2" toggles the post process effects and "0" change render modes .. If you're talking HDR/exposure in general I do not think Unity currently support high dynamic range!

This is getting seriously awesome. "B" still works, I'd not like to be in shoes of the marines on the ground floor. Thank you!!! :-)

OMG! 0_o

iller55/plugin-container2011-05-1320-55-56-21.jpg?
t=1305313303

/uu284/kriller55/plugin-container2011-05-1320-55-0
7-92.jpg?t=1305313393

om/albums/uu284/kriller55/plugin-container2011-05-
1320-54-49-79.jpg?t=1305313407

Jea "B" is great. A nother smal thing i noticed was you can switch specific lights on and of witeh 5 ,6 and 7 NOT on the NUM Pad. But it only works in the new area.

priiiiiiiiiiiiiityyyyy

Nice!! And the grey INTERSTELLAR MARINE with "his" SHARK makes a nice couple! ;)

:DD Awesome, I will wait for this game even if it takes years to finish (hopefully for all of us and our finance it won't take too long :P ). By the way, this is ALREADY better looking than most of the large games, like COD for instance :)))))))

I like it a lot, the map promises many non-linear battles with enemies from any direction; I also love what you have done when you approach an object, like the large shark, with a flashlight (smaller, more intense circle). Would be great if that would also work with the crates etc. . One of my few suggestions how to make it better would be texturing the crates more rugged so they will look more like they are shot at all day. But these are just details.

I noticed too that I could get up the edge of a wall, it's the part which is a bit side ways ("/"). And hopefully we won't be able to move while in the midair (jump and move directing the landing spot).
So yea, fix jump-floating and it be great :)))

Sorry for my language, it's not my "speak-correctly" day :(

I can almost see the helmet's visor going down and the HUD online.

So, are you guys planning on (eventually, maybe in the final game) making it so that we can destroy the light sources?

Great work. ;)

Looks amazing the only thing is when your going up the stairs it slows drown dramatically. But other than that Looks amazing. And if you guys ever need help with the game, I can try to help I am familiar with unity 3D.

pretty sweet can't wait for more :D

I'm with Saijin_Naib, some navigational overlays when polishing up the level would looks great and make it less likely to get lost. Also there does feel like there may be a couple of camping spots such as back to the locked door on the top floor of the combat arena but without in game testing it's hard to see if it would be balance breaking or not.

can't wait for deadlock to come out

man nice detailing too and its sweet cant wait for multiplayer to come out

From the screenshots, it looks nice.

Are there battle types where all of the combat areas are being used? That would make for frantic search and kill games.

hi hi the shark followes me arunde.. he shal be my shark and i shall call him snappy and he shal be my snappy.

Not sure whether its because you havn't worked on them yet or if its ment to be like that, but i find alot of the area's a little too dark, especialy the sidetracks near the stairs (airducks??). It just seems way too dark.

Also, unsure its because you havn't implemented it or not, but the movment feels really slugish, and im not likeing getting slowed down on walls and boxes when your near them.

Other then that, map design is looking good.

Keep it up!

-StrayEagle
<For the love of the game>

i hope that you will remember that its not only about realistick maps that fit in the game but also making them look awesome and fun to play

At 1920x1080 (thats my resolution on my desktop.........

the game crash ;_;

cool - nice with some focus on vertical combat!

I still think that putting in the movement controller from running man would help us all in trying to figure out how this map would actually work...ie, how far can i run, where can i jump, where can i aim etc

@ALL: Thanks for sharing your feelings and impressions, really help draw a picture of how the map is perceived at its current iteration.

@forgefire: You are spot on; We will re-establish our Running Man controller sooner rather than later as its really hard to imaging playing IM with Unity's default "Quake" fps controller (which we use at the moment) .. jump height, speed and air-control is pretty far off!

Running Man Controler jea, withe weapon please.

@Seradest it runs fine in 1920x1080 for me.

@ZPS Just curious can you run this demo on 1920x1080 and full settings? Probably jes.

Very good map layout and i'm loving the lighting, i also concur with what Saijin_Naib said. By the way I want to help you guys by making cover models!!! I'm familiar with Unity 3 and Luxology Modo you can see here a small demo that i'm working on Unity 3.

oon/?action=view&current=Game_WIP2.mp4

This is VERY WIP and the new iteration that i have don't have the arm anymore, has you can see in the video mirrors were a immersion braker. :P

@Argoon: Love your work there in Unity, Marine! .. We currently do not feel that its possible to administrating user generated content but we might just throw a "Build something cool for Deadlock" modeling competition at some point! :)

@LordMord: Running around the map accessing most areas with "B" enabled and flashlight On at 1920x1080 in Deferred Lighting mode with SSAO=On and Bloom&Flares=On clocks a 41.163 average FPS over 60 seconds (Calculated by Fraps) on our Intel Core2Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz / NVidia GeForce GTX 280 1024 MB GDD23 / Windows Vista Ultimate 8GB Ram PC.

@ ZPSHicks: Showoff. ;)

@Kosai106: Not at all its a 2.5 year old PC and 41FPS is not OK .. A map like this need this to run at least +60 FPS on a machine this "size" before we're happy! :)

I'm impressed!
I found the keys 5, 6, 7 working as lightswitches!
..can't wait to play 4 real! Keep up the good work!

One question, not exactly aimed at Deadlock. How far are you with completing the campaign? Are you building the levels, planing it out, done? Thanks in advance.

I noticed the same as Vytautas_goodNO and made a screenshot of it, because I don't think that you should be able to walk up there.

/better11.jpg

[quote=ZPSHicks] Love your work there in Unity, Marine! .. We currently do not feel that its possible to administrating user generated content but we might just throw a "Build something cool for Deadlock" modeling competition at some point! :)[/quote]

Thanks! Nice idea on the competition, i will surely participate. :)

looks boring, no diversity, continuous corridors and boxes

fing awesome! :))))

polovichok is boring now because theres no gameplay and is still a WIP (work in progress), but when the Multiplayer shooting goes in them i'm sure it will be very fun.
You also need to realize that this level represents a training room inside the same Running Man underground facility , so they can't vary much the level design, about the boxes they already said they will make more cover objects so the final level will have more cover variation.

One big thing for graphic obsessed gamers is shadows. The shadows in this game are great except for two things (I know it is early in the development and unity is still be updated):

1. When differed lighting is on and the flashlight is pointed at an object, that objects shadow can sometimes look a little fake. A real shadow is more diffused and blurred out and "bent" to the shape of whatever is behind it. That is probably really hard to do in unity though... Here are some images of what I am talking about.

250432_a70c70d668_b.jpg

ckr.com/3318/5721250244_e53ff67ab3_b.jpg

2. Can Unity create shadows that are based on a moving source of light, like the flashlight? It just takes away from the realism of the game to see shadows of the characters on the ground but not from the flashlight or other moving source.

@ Evanology: You're talking about realtime shadows. As far as I know, Unity Pro should support those. :)

@ Evanlogy: you can do all you described in Unity the problem is that it would eat up a lot of performence.

These aren't the dimensions your character will have in the game, are they? I could stand on the blocks at the spawning point despite the weird ceiling, so I decided to do some experimenting, and it seems that you are about as tall as the blocks and nearly as wide.

@ZPSHicks: Cool beans mano - - I was definitely referring to High Dynamic Range Rendering/Lighting. I really thought Unity 3 would have brought support for it. Either way, it's looking really good. Can't wait for Deadlock though - - keep up the good work!

Could you guys post this on Youtube?! Unity keeps crashing on me and i have not been able to follow any of this except for pics and blogs! Love you guys and cant wait for the final product!

Wow, either this is optimised way better or something has happened to my desktop. I'm playing on 1080p, fantastic with forward lighting with a nice framerate. Past versions have worked terrible for me. :D

Great work!!!

@ZPSHicks: Thanks, we appreciate that. :)

@polovichok: We're currently using the modules from Running Man and yes we are still missing additional props to break the repetition.

In a few weeks I will however share some prototypes made with the same modules that attempts to show how many different and distinct level you are able to make from these.

Once we begin to expand on the set of modules and adding props (I would love a prop competition on the forum!) I will do my best to deliver the Dust2 of IM.

Great Design! Lots of routes to circumvent, flank, or charge your opponents. Surprisingly big! Like the narrow side hallways(these make it nice for people to duck out of fire fast as well as hold their ground and trick their opponents. High ground is also nice, giving players an edge over their opponents, but not total dominance since their are many routes to catwalks and platforms. It's good to have all the boxes for cover(hopefully we can jump on them). It will be neat to see how you guys flesh out the levels to express the IM universe and context. Keep up the good work!!!

A challenge: Try and find a spot with-

-The shark out 'M' where you (Marine) would be thinking "Oh balls"
hBalls1.png?t=1306293250
-The Marine out 'C' who would be thinking "Oh balls"
hBalls2.png?t=1306293250

Also-
'E' Toggles the main lights on and off

I can't wait to try this out. Unfortunately, my school computers do a helluva lot better a job at running this on the browser than my own home desktop, and even here iteration 1 had some serious lag issues. It looked nice either way though. This map is going to be a hell of a lot of fun though, I can tell.

That's great that people are able to receive the business loans moreover, it opens new possibilities.

Hmm the rooms are looking too similar, i think. Cubes, lights(but the Idea to switch them all off is great!) and you have often the feeling you are in the same room as before. And it is too dark. Would be cool to have more different stuff in the map. The map "Dynamic Weather Mode: Dawn" was perfect, but here are a few things missing.

It's cool that people can get the <a href="http://goodfinance-blog.com/topics/home-loan
s">home loans</a> and this opens new opportunities.

Nice area this is what i dont like:you dont add the legs the arms and the helmet you dont get to add ragdolls and fp deaths and are u allowed to put items