Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 1

published Thursday, 14 April 2011, 15:00 by ZPSHicks

Join us in the making of a multiplayer map for Deadlock; iteration after iteration and be with us all the way as we develop, play and test with you (our beloved community) all part of our Open Door Development.

Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 1
Some of you might remember Operations from Running Man (Last training day challenge) and we've selected this map for Deadlock because it has potential to house a lot of our very basic multiplayer game-modes and allow 'SARA' to lock/unlock parts of the map to balance the experience.

DevBlog: Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 2 available [here]
  • Warning:
  • Open Door Development is ALL about showing "Work in Progress" ... We hope you can take it! :)
  • Warning:
  • This Prototype is not optimized for optimal performance so if you're "playing" on a small notebook, please do not expect the best frame-rates in the world!
  • Warning:
  • Deferred lighting is calculated based on how many pixels light influence pr. frame, so be sure to set the resolution if your native default is too high!

Layout overview

This is how the layout looks so far .. four small combat areas connected with corner hallways and connection tunnels hopefully providing good alternate routes during combat training.

Alternate routes for flanking and spawning

We're playing around with the concept that the training facility connection tunnels are configured for each scenario to provide different alternate routes and we will be testing (visualizing at the moment) that these tunnels is where you'll re-enter (spawn) during combat after being knocked out by adversary taser-rounds.

Combat arena

In this combat area (only area available in Iteration 1) I've tried to work with the space above and below a simple platform to allow room for the tension of not being able to see or hear everything from central positions.

Playing around with lights

Although this first iteration of Operations is focused primarily on just getting the map into your hands .. there is still room for testing out our in-the-making light pipeline (e.g. hunting performance) as we're slowly providing 'SARA' with more and more options for controlling the training scenarios making sure that the experience is dynamic and fresh all the time.

Anyways, please take the map for a spin and try to visualize running around fighting other Marines in tense close-quarter tactical combat and do not hesitate to give us ALL your feedback! - There is no stupid questions or bad ideas .. just hit us with everything you got in the comments below.

DevBlog: Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 2 available [here]

For the love of the game!
/ZPSHicks

Comments

first ! :) looks cool will come back later...

For some reason my movement is tied to the mouse, strange.

Sara, Y u deny access? :D

But serisouly, it's great. You have room for larger and smaller fights, ambushes etc., any tactic you desire.

One simple idea: include a mode where you can jump around like in this demo (I guess the final player character will normally be not as agile) and have triple mag size. Would make for awesome "hop'n'gun" maps.

... it's very cool layout . feels very intense with the bad lightning and small corridors. i have never tried a shooter with no light but your own flashlight. looking forward to that. But the movement is strange. i don't know if this i how your gonna run and jump or it's gonna change but now it's faster to jump up of stairs rather than you go up of the stairs , you slow down in the end of the stair.

Cool , ZP BEST !

Map loocks great.

The only problem i have is. When i turn on Deferred lightning , it does not worke withe nvidia 3d vision.

But a good thing i noticed if you go upstairs you slow done. That adds nicely to the immersion. Cause no one can run upstairs the same speed as running on an flat ground.

very nice layout, lot's of little places where you could sit for a couple of kills then move forward I like that, I really like the idea of the 'connection tunnels' I can see that being very intense
really can't wait to give it a go

@GortosXtreme
hop'n'gun sounds like a fun mode

Good map design. I gather the spawn points are the two narrow corridors?

There are clear frontlines and good use of elevation. Great use of flashlights but I would recommend making lights destructible. I don't recommend major destruction, but basic destuction (i.e. they spark a bit and then die). This seems like a map where stealth will be vital, so I recommend adding equipment to reinforce or hinder stealth (noise amplifiers, softer boots, night (green) vision, heat detection, etc.).

I also recommend adding cover other than crates, such as walls with gaps to shoot through or "half crates", where the crate only covers you up to the chest when crouched.

I would recommend the following mode for this map design:

-Name: Push/Charge

-Objective: Get further into the enemy base to deplete their "tickets" or morale or generally lowering reinforcements. Each team starts with 50 and they are depleted by killing enemies, but you get multipliers as you "push" further into the enemy base.

Also, make dark areas darker and light areas darker. Put flickering lights in all the areas, as this encourages the wait-and-strike approach (wait for it to flicker on and then charge, timing it just right that when you move you'll be in darkness) and increasing the flickering time by about half a second-one second.

I really like the layout. It seems to be intense with these different platforms and corridors. Lighting is great aswell.
But I dont like that there are some camping areas. It's annoying. Will there be an anty-camp protection?
Is it possible to shoot out lights?

Omg this preview is so awesome!!! I was running around like crazy just looking at the new lights - they are simply beautiful and more realistic than before.

The quality settings also don't have an influence on competitive gameplay, they generally don't make areas or flashlight darker or brighter, which is great. The lightning settings do have an impact on this but I am not sure if it will be serious or not.

What can I say? I simply love this preview!! The movement sideways and backwards could be slower but this is WIP, you probably planned to do that anyway so... great job folks :-)

I like it. I had to use my family computer, which is a dual-core 2.3GHz AMD (yuck), and 2GB of Ram. It still lagged :P But I like how everything looks. This will be awesome :)

This is very impressiv.

If this is a "first iteration", then I can't wait for the final one!

Indeed the lightning is very well done! I dont really understand why or how, but for some reason i was impressed by unity and how far you guys push that engine again! I guess i should have gotten used to that by now...

The use of corridors sounds very cool in my opinion. But i am wondering how many players you had imagined for this map? Nothing worse than a crowded multiplayer map...

I did nothing one thing. When looking at the signs above the doors they dont really look a lot like signs, more like some text on a colored background which is a shame.

Can't wait to try this out... please hurry up and implement your movement controller! Trying to run around the map as intended might provide more useful feedback (ie, where can we jump to and from, how long can we run, how far can we aim ect)

FTLO-Open-door-development

*notice, not nothing in the above post.

GOOD so far, design will work.
However, my experience with Multiplayer maps tells me that you still need to make the map more divererse, both in visual and gameplay elements.
You can still see too much when lights are out, especially in the areas without any door lights. Mark my words, you NEED to make the flashlight essential in some areas. Using a flashlight gives away your position and warns an enemy, players will not use it if they are not absolutly forced to.
One could also think about a "blinding" effect if you light another character in the face.

At least one area should focus more on verticality, with at least three floors. Note that you have to be able to see parts of those areas from all floors but others need to be covered to make them useful, if you are a sitting duck when upstairs, it won't be used. I'd recommend a mix between catwalks and tunnels.

Visually, at least one area should show some of the Mars scenery, using the glas tunnels from running man. Everything grey warehouse won't work. You could even create a third kind of enviroment, like a more medical area.

Very nice lighting is awesome and so is the sound. But, they are battle simulations right? So you want to have more then just the hamster complex look. Project IM maybe created rooms underground to simulate outdoors, spaceships, stations, or other buildings... wink.

COOL i come back later i hope its gonna be more building,landscape and veichels.

I have to say all of the three lighting methods look very nice. And when moving through the corridors, I got the same feeling as with the 1st AvP title from Rebellion :-)

Ok, I suppose you wanted to show the level design so far. That's why I will refer only to design questions and will not ask for vehicles :P
First thing that came to my mind when looking at this WIP was: 'wow'. Then I took a closer look and - of course - found one or 2 issues. I took 3 screenshots that should show what I mean.

First: http://img848.imageshack.us/i/deadlockoperationsit
era.jpg/
Borders between 2 scales of darkness seem too smooth and move with the player. Just like a reflection from very far.

Second: http://img806.imageshack.us/i/deadlockoperationsit
era.jpg/
The shadow is pretty pixelated. Also currently you are using the same skin for every 4 parts of a box. They differ from box to box, but on one side, there are just 4 of them. I suggest mixing the skins a bit. For example box A has skins 1,2,2,3 and box B shows 4,2,3,5. The skins itself look gorgeous!

Third: http://img862.imageshack.us/i/deadlockoperationsit
era.jpg/
Obviously you weren't finished with the far part of the map. Textures here look way more pixelated than the ones at the 'spawn'-point. Even though it is darker, there could still be more detail.

I'm sure you knew about these issues, but I still wanted to contribute.

Kendzi

Fantastic work guys!

One thing I should mention is that you go a little too quick going down the stairs.

Ok, I've done a few laps around the map. It looks great. I would like to see what is in the cordoned off sections. I will agree with what someone else said, in that the display panels above some of the doors look a little lack-luster but for a first iteration they serve their purpose.

The lighting and interior is beautiful and runs pretty smooth. I liked the layouts and noted good positioning and making use of sight lines. I ran through picturing a multi-player bullet fest in the middle of my running about and found myself cringing in a few places. There's a narrow choke point or two that could be murder to take. However, the alternate tunnels give ways around that. A little bit of tactical thinking would send a few men down those tunnels to flank enemy shooters and get behind them.

On the alternate route tunnels, I can see some vicious fights taking place in those narrow places, which could be good or bad. I agree with what was said earlier about the flashlights and making them a little more integral to the game play. The flashlight itself I liked. I didn't feel that I was stuck dealing with a circle the size of a penny, and it felt very comfortable and natural. I like the bloom effects it has on surfaces as you get nearer to them.

If you ever notice when it's really dark out and you have a very bright flashlight, as the light bounces back toward you off of some surfaces it can hurt your eyes or make you want to squint. This accomplishes that quite nicely.

I also agree that flashlights should give away your position, and this could lead to an interesting combat dynamic. On the note of combat dynamics, I believe that a jump should be possible. However, I don't think bunny-hopping should be encouraged. Interstellar Marines is about immersion, and as such Marines don't bunny hop around like Peter Cottontail. They are skilled shooters that move carefully and deliberately, and only make short sprints when necessary.

I believe that in multiplayer situations as well as single player that the players should be encouraged to play and fight like Marines or other elite units. This isn't to say they should go play America's Army or anything, but the plague of bunny hoppers, dolphin-divers, and run-and-gun, knife-sprinting we see in other games should not infect an immersive experience such as this.

cont

I liked and disliked how the stairs worked. From a play and vulnerability standpoint I didn't like the feeling of being slowed on the steps. From an immersion standpoint it almost made me cheer out loud as nobody ever thinks of the movement rates on stairs. Stairs are not something you're going to be able to sprint up at full speed the entire way. Going down stairs can be much faster and easier than going up them, especially if you go down taking two steps at a time. Some players may not like this simple little immersion point, but I feel that it was well done, if a little rough. It's a first iteration after all.

Can't wait to see what else comes out before I pass on any more feedback or random thoughts.

For the love of the game.

Layout encourages lots of camping. Otherwise, aesthetically pleasing.

I would like to note, right here and now, that if I catch anyone breaking out a tent, piling up some wood, and starting to roast marshmallows while the team is trying to D E F E N D an area, I will personally shoot you and steal your graham crackers. We don't have time to start a camp when there's bullets being thrown at us by high-velocity weapon systems.

>_>

Anyway, I'd like to see how this map would look in an 'assault' mode and teamplay...

...I also like to see how you address spawn-ganking in a map that size. Because if people come from the mindset of counter-strike, then its apparently its a BAD IDEA to DENY THE ENEMY TERRITORY by DEFENDING FIXED LOCATIONS and COUNTER PRODUCTIVE in WATCHING YOUR TEAMS BACK because that dirty word 'camping' is being used again.

<_<

Maybe to prevent camping, there would be a team kill collection zone that moves around the map. If Red vs Blue, a red player would kill a blue player and then have to go and place the "dogtag" (maybe) in the collection zone. This would keep players moving around the map and put a stop to those marshmallow-roasters-in-a-tent's. Could be worth trying in the ODD.

Or, the collection box would switch from player to player on one time during death intervals, so people would go to that player. It would promote teamwork!

PLEASE READ!

My concern with the connecting tunnels is that any mines/grenades will cut these choke points off entirely. If you've ever played half life 2 deathmatch (HL2:DM) you know what I'm talking about with SLAM charge abuse.

Will we have the ability to neutralize these items (if they exist), and will it be a manual skill (have to defuse them ala CS [ but properly animated of course]), or will it be a shoot to disable/blow up the mine/grenade?

I am a bit confused here. Is the word camping used for killing freshly spawned enemies from a good spot, finding yourself a good position where you always have an advantage in deathmatch or remaining in this position while the team needs you elsewhere?

Doesn't appear too linear or limited and seems to be a good start for the map. When the final version comes around I'd like to see a little more variation in the environment, at current it all looks the same and is quite easy to get lost in. Good job though and I'm looking forward too see how it develops!

This map looks perfect for campers, and i think you should make it a standalone game, that you could put on your website, or even on steam or mac app store. Or both, then you could have it to download for free, but you need to sign up to play, and maybe spearhead users could have a few extra guns to use. But you sign in, in the game. what do you think ???

the map is very clever, showing spots points, and fast fighting corridors...
may i ask for more...different objects? not only boxes and stairs, perhaps i want to see more dynamic colors (i guess), and...will we see our feet?, legs?...

sorry for double posting---=p
when i said (diff objects) i refer too, because of maps, i don't like to play in the same environment over and over again, cuz u know,, (fighting is a thing- but roaming is another one)
thx...love if theres some great windows that show us the outter space, (like Dead Space), maybe / and this is a great idea/ in the middle of a multiplayer battle, ...why not release some civilians, those who enter, cuz they work in the ship, and get caught in that zone,,,so if u hit 'em your team will lose points, and so...
=)

I don't suppose one of the devs would be willing to comment on whether ZPS is using the built in Unity networking system, or just .NET sockets?

It looks sweet. I cant wait to play a match on it.

Thanks for all your wonderful comments and feedback, Marines!

Please stay tuned for a FAQ update to the article. here I'll do my best to answer all your questions sometimes during the easter vacation.

Love you all!

while tehere's work to be done on the graphics, I cant understand why the vertex on the metal part of cubes dont align to look like a flat surface and why does it let me go behing staiwells when there obviously isnt space for me. Camera clips through objects on the edges(i have full hd monitor) and from the mad color degradation i assume HDR is (if there is) only wasted at the lights and bloom.

Looks Amazing.

One Question, what about serverside variables?

Indeed what sajib is saying. Its really camper friendly... and... the map is rather small... and there isnt a really good spawn spot. One of the huge problems is the spawning. Even in big games like black ops or bfbc2! I suggest this map will be used for objectives like kill the enemy you get 1 life till the next round. This is defenitely not a good Free for all or teamdeathmatch map. Bud it really is fun to see how good it looks! Really good job!

Really great, i love the atmosphere with the lights turned off, looking forward to playing this. You might consider adding unique "callout points" to the map, bits of scenery to reference when spotting enemies for your team. Also, id really like the see a video on the modular tiling of the levels; the amnesia guys did this and it was very interesting/helpful for indie devs.

It would be nice if Sara had the capacity to release after a certain time or when the player has made ??a strike of say ten deaths. Then, the user could gain some deadly weapon and would use it for a limited time, and soon.
It would also be more dynamic if we could switch the light intensity.
Or if there is dark environments so we needed to use flashlights or lasers to search for the enemy. That would be fun, because others would remain in place and lay in wait in the dark.

I agree with the whole spawn thing, but then again small maps are nto recommended for many players either, even games like the Unreal series had small DM and TDM maps for 1v1 or 2-4 players max. So its all bout the number of gamers in the map aswell good for challanging others in a duel or team duel hehe. Still the map looks great. Kudos! :D

wow guys amazing!!!! you got far since last time i checked. doing good! remined me of natural selection 2 in the making. they are doing a similar game like yours. but its ONLY multiplayer yall will have a full campaign. GL AND GJ

This was a lot of fun to explore.
I must agree with the players above that the lighting dynamics are a real treat for this type of game and allow for some great possibilities and uses of stealth or flashlight etc.

Understandably this is a WIP and I am looking forward to the improvements.

There is plenty of cover but the cover is too static. As stated above, just crates will get boring. Having shooting lanes with variable cover will allow for a more visually stimulating experience. Instead of crates in the corridors, how about smaller boxes (similar to pelican cases) and small equipment (automated movers for the crates). In the larger combat spaces there could be larger loaders or a vehicle to hide around.

Some destructable environmentals will add to the overall experience. Perhaps some destructable cover, such as wooden crates or "plastic" crates. Maybe temporary walls with glass or even glass "windows" in the combat areas for players to shoot out or hide behind. Some excess lighting that can be shot out would be neat too.

Will there be larger maps later on, along with outdoor enviroments?.
A combination of both would be nice.

I like the dark version of the map without lights on. I can imagine marines running with gun mount flashlights, turning them on/off to scare/surprise other marines. I don't mind the crates at all and instead I think that the crates create really challenging and tactical environment where marines can hide and use them for quick ambushes. Moreover jumping on the crates can quickly navigate you on higher platforms of the level without need to use stairs. The map is not perfect, but looks interesting to me and I'm looking forward playing in there with other marines.

happy easter i cant play running man oh no

hey happy easter to you all... fairly new here, but im really lovin what im seein so far...map is great, gotta love the dark version of this map. able to ambush and scare the hell out of people

I'm liking the amount of shadow used in the prototype - will make exciting gameplay.

I really think that ATO AI SARA should random turn lighting on/off, this would make the action so much more random!! =D

Well in every sci-fi game there is a flashlight like that and it is a bit lame because it's an old school flashlight (single low light – bulb). In future there is no LED light or something? Ye I now old ones have this scary movie look light but maybe it is time to move on already.
Differed light looks real good and SSAO is nice but not in places straight under the light where there shouldn’t be any shadows near the edges (or as I think).
I was going to complain about no legs/body PC but I check in Running Man (and I'm happy to see IM have more then 1 eye with 1-2 hands) - but hey I can't shoot my foot ;-) .
Grate work Zero Point Software, anxiously waiting for more.

Thought I'd ask again, is IM going to be using Unity's built-in Raknet system, or a custom protocol using .NET sockets?

@spectre1989: We're still in the prototyping phase of networking systems so it has yet to be decided. It's very unlikely we'll be using Unity's built-in networking.

Cheers for the reply, I use Unity quite a lot at work in multiplayer games and found Unity's system pretty poor, we don't use it at all.. Anyway, just comparing notes one dev to another, I hope Unity start making some changes to their networking system when high profile multiplayer games like IM show the demand for it.

Thanks again for replying, much appreciated =)

pretty epic just needs a few more tweks

Good start, but remember to think in terms of this being an actual military base. I see no signs that people were here (bunks, mess hall, etc) and try and give each room a functionality, i.e. an observation deck, a med bay, etc rather than just random rooms.