Deadlock Map: Combat Range 01 - Iteration 1
published Wednesday, 5 Oct. 2011, 10:00 by ZPSHicks
After four intense weeks building, prepping, testing, tweaking pipelines etc. we're slowly getting our artificial cave environments off the ground and are finally ready to share the initial results with you; our awesome and beloved community!
- AAA Indie and Open Door Development is ALL about showing "Work in Progress" ... We hope you can take it! :)
- This map prototype is not optimized for performance (No LOD'ing, Occlusion Culling etc.), which means that if you're "playing" on a small notebook, please do not expect the best frame-rates in the world!
- Deferred lighting is calculated based on how many pixels, light influence pr. frame, so be sure to bring down your resolution, if your native default is too high!
- Good News:
- Unity 3.5 (upcoming engine upgrade from Unity Technologies) will bring a completely rewritten Occlusion Culling system which will allow us to make all our scenes perform faster. Unity 3.5 also features a new native Level Of Detail system which will allow us to reduce our scene polygon count significantly and last but not least Unity 3.5 features a new multi-threaded renderer, which according to Unity's CTO Joachim Ante, potentially allows "up to" 3x faster rendering performancel ... We simply can not wait!
Dynamic Weather Mode: Midday
Bright artificial sunlight with a bit of wind blowing from the large (not visible yet) wind turbines. Although the weather is clear in this image, SARA has the option to mix any weather system properties on the fly to e.g. create a weather mode of foggy midday and rain with lightning and thunder dominating the weather mode.
Dynamic Weather Mode: Night
Dynamic Weather Mode: Lightning
5 Giant stadium projectors simulate lightning from a far. The lightning prototype is very WIP but should help provide an idea of the type of diversity SARA has at her disposal to simulate all kinds of exciting combat environments.
Dynamic Weather Mode: Dawn
Dynamic Weather Mode: Rain
This weather mode needs particles and other goodies to reach the potential of establishing the calm rainy mood of say "First Blood". However when complete the artificial sprinkler system will be able to simulate everything from the chilly drops of light rain all the way to the heavy and brutal rain showers of violent tropical storms.
Iteration 2 (Brainstorm):
- Level Design: Create more exciting Bunkers A+B interior and exterior.
- Level Design: Make combat areas near both bunkers more interesting and diverse.
- Level Design: Play-test, play-test and play-test
- Look and Feel: Create 1st iteration rain sprinkler system.
- Look and Feel: Implement transitions between weather modes.
- Look and Feel: Create more weather mode presets.
- Look and Feel: Create environment particles to help simulate more weather modes.
- Look and Feel: More work establishing the exterior cave walls and outline environment in general.
- Tech: Instant fade of Lens Flares behind meshes, trees and particles.
- Tech: Update tree billboards with every light update.
- Tech: Spotlight projectors On/Off centralized logic with randomized color and flicker values.
Other relevant DevBlog:
Want to experience one of our other maps (interior) in development:
Deadlock Map: Operations - Iteration 2 available [here]
For the love of the game!