Deadlock 0.3.5 Battle Report

published Thursday, 5 April 2012, 12:30 by heks

Last update gave us “the kill loop”, this time we’ve upgraded to the latest and greatest version of Unity3D, revived the Combat Range 01 map and topped it off with Laser and Flashlight prototypes - the combination of which gives a whole new meaning to “a shot in the dark”!

Getting access to Deadlock

Deadlock version 0.3.5 is online and available to all Spearheads and Frontliners. This version continues our commitment to Open Door Development which provides access to Deadlock, while it’s being developed. Remember that you can get access to Deadlock and help speed-up the development of Interstellar Marines by upgrading your profile to Spearhead or Frontliner in our [Store].

Click here to access Deadlock 0.3.5

Mission Summary

This update we’ve been down on programming resources so we decided to focus on getting everything to work in the latest version of Unity3D as well as make a few (mostly) visual prototypes that did not require too much coding. We’ve also brought the “old” Combat Range 01 map back into the mix, which combined with the new prototypes shows great potential for future gameplay features!

Watch the video and read on for more details.

"Deadlock 0.3.5" - Video Log
20Mbit WMV 720p Video available in Briefing Room New animations, image effects, thunder weather mode on Combat Range 01, simple scoreboard and new flashlight & laser prototypes!

Changelog

• UPDATED: Deadlock project to run on the latest version of Unity3D 3.5
  • UPDATED: Combat Range 01 with new thunder and lightning weather modes
  • ADDED: Laser prototype (key 'G')
  • ADDED: Flashlight prototype (key 'F')
  • ADDED: HDR & Tone Mapping added to rendering pipeline
  • ADDED: Focused aim prototype (Edge of screen is blurred when aiming)
  • ADDED: Names / Kills UI (key 'N')
  • UPDATED: Marine animations

Next objective

In other words; it’s time to deliver on the features that will bring Deadlock past it’s current “run and gun”-only gameplay and demonstrate how Interstellar Marines is so much more than just another mindless present-day shooter.

Known Issues

• All character related sounds does not currently work. It will be fixed in the next update.
  • Once in a while a marine will spawn without a weapon in hand and other clients won’t see his movements. The only fix to this is to reconnect to the server.
  • If chat can’t be toggled with ‘T’ it can be due to using the development version of the Unity webplayer. Install the latest official webplayer.
  • The weather system has been refactored and has consequently resulted in various small artifacts such as light from distant explosions during the warzone weather mode is not working properly.

Community stats:

• Registered members: 164,255
  • Spearheads: 2,525
  • Frontliners: 234
  • Support Medals owned: 13,484

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME,
Your team at Zero Point Software

Comments

Video logs: best idea ever. Do moar! And keep up the awesome work, guys! Also, from the Youtube comments, what's the ETA for the dynamic voice system? Is it still planed? Thanks!

Goodness, this is beautiful.

It's looking wonderful. You guys sure are pushing the unity engine to its maximum. Love the attention to details. I just hope the engine updates can keep up with your teams imagination :D

As the game lacks speed optimizations (for obvious reasons), it's a good idea to present the progress in a high quality video. Thank you for this great update, I didn't know the lasers look so good in PvP :-)

Hey ZPS, I know you guys got lots on your plate so I decided to go out and do something. I tried shooting all the lights to make sure they can be destroyed. Turns out that inside building "A" there is an invincible lamp. Shall we call it the almighty lamp? :D Also inside Building "B" there is a lamp which can only be destroyed if you shoot in a specific corner. Don't worry I got it all covered, I'll be your light debugger. ;)

By the way, I'm loving the music for Deadlock 0.3.5 video

"Our near future focus is centered around introducing more tactical prototypes such as skill-based reload, in-game weapon management of extension and modes, immersive situational awareness, weapon simulation etc. which will all help us slow the gameplay down to where it “belongs”."

My hope in humanity has just been restored!
This is why I love you guys. Everywhere I look these days is it always about increasing the pace and keeping the action going(!) for fun never ending excitement and explosions and implosions and millions of medals grwawralll!!! :?

Well...I just bought Splinter Cell: Chaos theory on PSN and it is the most intense action oriented game I've played in a long time.

The night is black, and I hunt down the careless meat. *likes the weather system* ^.^

Short report, in case you didn't notice: Bright lights, such as the "sun", tend to shine through solid surfaces. Might be a sideeffect of your semi-dynamic lighting.

Excellent video!

The Video Log idea is great, and should be made regularly.

The "community members as actors" is also a great idea.

"We also want to add more meaningful game-modes to enhance the core tactical gameplay experience and at the same time add more contextual mood and feel to the sci-fi setting that is Interstellar Marines."

-In space, only the Lansharks can hear you scram-

"You should definitely add something with a view of outer space, like the hangar for the Megalodons on the Kitty Hawk."
Jeez, man, do I LOVE this idea!

Nice update. I look forward to the next one.

And a warzone weather mode, you say? :D

love the music in the video cant wait to see more!

@DrNO

Glad I'm not the only outer space fan here :)

And it should read:

-In space, only the Landsharks can hear you scream-

We/I really need an "Edit post" button.

excellent work will continue to attract so many fanes! I honestly am not a faithful follower of the game but it is surprising more and more, see features and game-like crisis or fear half life 2 I feel great, something a little role mechanisms would not hurt with things between players also co-operatives , well that's all a greeting! I keep congratulating

Also, the Navy started building the IM complex: http://gizmodo.com/5899448/the-navy-built-its-own-
private-indoor-desert-and-jungle

Played about 45 minutes earlier on and i have to say it really is already a lot of fun just needing crouching, sprinting and reloading really, as well as a proper objective as people tend to spread out to much and with only 3 or 4 players its hard to find people.

Another thing I think could be improved is the flash light - it seems to only work well on white the white and grey buildings and hardly illuminates grass or trees. Other than that it is incredibly beautiful and immersive

Wow, you guys! This is beautiful!

I HWANT TO PLAY SO BADLYYYY

Bit of Battlefield 3 influence there with the flash light and laser pointer attachments, I really like BF3 but they over did it with the flash light (made it too strong) so if you do decide to go with it just don't make it too blinding. Awesome progress though!!

Reese will we able to get this Deadlock Theme? If it is no Dev-Blog and Download in the Briefingroom would be enougth.

Also nice update hopfully the footsteps work in the next version again. + a ton of other cool stuff.

-In space, only the Landsharks can hear you scream-

-and you better hope they don't-

@GortosXtreme

-but if they do bring a Titan-walker-

Yeah your right with that .....

Nice footage...

that was f*cking amazing, if you'll pardon my french.

That was bloody brilliant, if you'll excuse my British?

when will this be availabail to the publick

THIS IS AWESOME!! Get some rest guys... you have earned it!!!

Nice vid and terrific music. I can't wait till the next update.

a Titan walker mode... that would be cool.

Great work :D Keep it up^^

@steee:
For now, you need to be a Frontliner or a Spearhead to play, that is you have to pre-order the game. It is an alpha and as such it is not supposed to be public. Check out the store!

Man, I wish Deadlock could work on my computer, this looks awesome!

I really want to become a spearhead or frontliner cos this looks EPIC

Looking awesome! Keep it going guys!

I wanna play with more people :(

Also, can't wait to hopefully get a link to the song from the video in the briefing room soon. Really liked it!

i just wish more people would play, many times im playing with 1 person, mostly my self lol

Well, to start off Indie companies usually don't impress me well to often. I saw this game a while back and I loved the idea. So I checked back later on and decided to run the running man game. Before It finishes loading, the game in full screen with the audio in my dark room immersed me for some magical reason. Playing through several waves through my browser has impressed me quite a bit. I wonder how it would look if it was downloaded and not running off a browser.

ddsfwqdse opkweiojasiofodsfkfsdijsidaskdjsfkkfjkdsfkvkdmfmds