Deadlock 0.3.0 Battle Report

published Monday, 27 Feb. 2012, 22:00 by heks

In our ongoing quest for true multiplayer immersion we bring you Deadlock 0.3.0 which primarily consist of a kill and be killed game loop. Join the servers, battle your fellow marines and experience the continuous iterations of what we are trying to achieve with Interstellar Marines.

Mission Summary

Deadlock version 0.3.0 is online and available to all Spearheads and Frontliners. This version continues our commitment to Open Door Development which provides access to Deadlock, while it’s being developed. Remember that you can get access to Deadlock as well as support the development of Interstellar Marines by upgrading your profile to Spearhead or Frontliner in our [Shop]

This update includes, among other things, the ability to shoot each other in multiplayer, new dynamic weather/game modes, new impact effects and lit particles system and weapon aiming with RDS (Red Dot Scope). Watch the video and read on for a detailed changelog.

"Deadlock 0.3.0" - Video Log
20Mbit WMV 720p Video available in Briefing Room Video Log with a few selected highlights from the Deadlock 0.3.0 release!

Click to access Deadlock 0.3.0

Changelog

• ADDED: Marine damage system (early iteration - 3 shots to die!)
  • ADDED: Marine death & respawning (‘K’ to suicide)
  • ADDED: Weapon consumes  ammo (Ammo counter in bottom center of screen. Automatic unlimited reloads when depleted.)
  • ADDED: ‘Warzone’ weather mode
  • ADDED: Weapon aiming (early iteration - Hold Right Mouse Button)
  • ADDED: Lit particles support
  • ADDED: Network support to Lights (‘E’ to toggle on Playground)
  • UPDATED: Divided world/character/helmet rendering into multiple compositing cameras
  • UPDATED: Mainline with a performance overhaul
  • UPDATED: Dynamic weather system and modes
  • UPDATED: Weapon firing loop tech & sounds (1p and 3p)
  • UPDATED: Impact effects for all physical materials on Mainline
  • UPDATED: Stabilization of marine animations for a steadier camera
  • FIXED: 1p character mesh flickering when looking down
  • FIXED: 3p Marine “floats” above the ground

Next objective

This next (short) sprint we will mostly be looking at updating Deadlock to Unity 3.5, cleanup the project, update our deployment pipeline, and hopefully add a few new cool things in-between.

Known Issues

• Once in a while a marine will spawn without a weapon in hand and other clients won’t see his movements. The only fix to this is to reconnect to the server.
  • If chat can’t be toggled with ‘T’ it can be due to using the development version of the Unity webplayer. Install the latest official webplayer.

Community stats:

• Registered members: 156,447
  • Spearheads: 2,464
  • Frontliners: 222
  • Support Medals owned: 13,294

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME,
Your team at Zero Point Software

Comments

ZPSHicks shot me first!

nice video guys!

It really shows the weather effects in a good way! Do you have an eta for next release? 2 weeks? Hopefully the upgrade to 3.5 will bring some automatic performance increases :)

I believe that I shot some fellows.

@ZPSHicks, hehehheh wow this kinda sucks, so no enlisted marine can ever play Deadlock in the near future? Interesting. If you guys do take this into consideration, then can u give us enlisted marines an estimated date?

Holy smokes. Looks amazing. Can't wait to see the full game! :)

It's coming along nicely. One of the first to see the FB comment and play :)

Even though it's version 0.3.0, this is still way too much fun. I can't wait for future releases.

Since Deadlock will evolve alot and become much larger can you please release a downloadable version?

Speaking of a downloadable version, would that improve peformance?

I got a feeling that zps would really want to keep this in the browser if it is possible to get the desired performance from it... It does kinda makes sense business wise as well imo.

However I am also pretty confidant that if keeping it in the browser isnt doable in the long run, then we will get a download for it :)

@forgefire

That was like reading from our internal white board! :)

If/when this becomes standalone game i will become a spearhead.

--------------
Is deadlock gonna be like mine craft where there is gonna be so many different versions before it gets the name v1.0.

--------------
Performance is better as a standalone game versus browser based. I have made a few games in unity3d and i have to say that it always performed better as a desktop application.

--------------
I think the animations appear to be a bit stiff in this game. Camera doesn't move much and gun doesn't say much and maybe i play battlefield 3 too much, but when the the other players move around the animations don't look right, maybe its that their feet slide across the ground a lot, and it just looks unnatural.

If you guys want to make this game immersive, i think that animations are a very important thing, and i think more important than visuals and sounds.

--------------
At the start of the video above when the player gets killed and falls from the building, i think he should drop his weapon and it should fall down with physics, and not still be attached to the player.

--------------
There is many other things that i think you should fix, but I'm not going to waste my time and tell you things that you should fix when they are probably on the list to do anyway.

I understand that this game is alpha and it is nowhere near final but I'm just trying to tell you guys my opinions on it. Im not a spearhead so i haven't played it yet, but from what iv seen in youtube videos and the video above, that is what i think.

--------------
I think you guys should have a sort of checklist that everybody can see and vote on features to be implemented into the game, similar to unity3d's feature request thing at http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/15792-unity i think that a thing like this would be good and you guys could see the feature that people want the most.

--------------
Thanks for reading.

I like the weather systems and all, but that a friend of mine noted, wouldn't you rather have recoil on your gun than another weather configuration? I kinda have to agree with him, two or three weather configurations would really have done it for me.

@AdaptiveMass

Perfect point, there .. our dilemma however was not to choose between weather modes or recoil (accuracy system) primarily because the weather modes is created between Anders and I and our accuracy system needs a "real" programmer like heks (which there is unfortunately only one of at ZPS .. we need cloning NOW) so ..

the real dilemma of choice was between adding "recoil" or adding the game loop of being able to shoot each other multiplayer! :)

I hope this makes sense!

Right, got it! :)

I absolutely love the new weather conditions. It's one of those details that make this game different and unique, which is never a bad thing between all the fps titles today. Great work and thanks :-)

Looking great guys! I know how much effort you have put into getting this live, so keep up the good work.

Heks - Nice report bro :)

i wonder if Zero Point can talk to Unity and see if they can release all this as part as a improved Unity3d engine. keep up the good work guys! :)

I want to get a new computer just to play this game, my current one does not handle advanced graphics or deleting programs without overheating

Awesome! the weather effects look amazing.

We need "badly" reload, recoil and possibility to jump and to crouch.
Then I think there will be full servers 24/7.
Fog effect is amazing, it's like "oh sh...t, who is there???" me, I kill you :D
And all the sounds make the atmosphere more realistically.
Keep it up guys!

So, this is how it looks on a good computer, nice!

I like this)))

im mad i was really looking forward to playing this game but it cost mony will it ever be free

this blew me away i hope you can just clean up character abalteis or watever u call them for 0.4 example
abailty to jump,crouch and releod!
the rest like 0.5 would be some more sights and or more weapons better health bar

Awesome!
I really would love to see some sparks when shooting against metal.
Can't wait for the game!

Simply beautiful, going to make some time to jump into Deadlock in the next week or two. Keep up the great work guys, FTLOTG!

Multi player looks like great fun, and congrads and getting it up. But seriously let me at one of those land sharks...Co-Op even

one thing i would love as much as crouching and jumping would be peeking if you know what i mean?
maybe it's called leaning like in the old Medal of Honors if you are behind a wall, instead of just walking out in the open to get at shot. you could peek/lean from a wall.
lean left from a wall with Q and lean right from a wall with E. that would make it a bit more immersive. not many "new" games out there which has this feature.

side note
long ago you showed a preview of a "PDA wrist device" and i would just like to say that you should keep that intact, an make it like if you want to have a look at where your buddys are you could just "look at your arm" in real time and no screen would fill the screen. that would be very realistic. and it reminds me a bit of dead space's "intergrated on body real time menu's"

looking good, and i cant wait untill next year when i finally will have enough money to support this very immersive project. and like luthreidrome said: FTLOTG ?B;-D

Nice with the new iteration.
I had some problems with my mouse, but they are not there anymore.

BTW could a forum admin change the name of the "advertise interstellar marines" to deep philosophical discussion or something like that...

@Hral

We'll see want we can do, interesting read though; deep philosophical discussion's is so underrated in this day and age! :)

hey were do you play it

@guner

you have to be a frontliner or a spearhead to play it.

My my, this article has a lot of posts.

the atmosphere is starting to feel like STALKER, if thats the case, u will have a very great game. its really shaping up well

Saving some extra money to become a Spearhead, Love the game! I think you guys have already beat Call of Duty real-ism system.

One word. Awesome.
Surprising fact that the little community of devs beats even the largest dev geeks.
Now I'm going to become a Spearhead.
Waiting for more!

Bigger isn't always better you know... ^^

Curious, what was the point of Bullseye if Deadlock was launched without, and still doesn't have, the same weapon handling?

I would think Deadlock started from the point you reached with Bullseye/Running man and improved from there instead of go through the same steps again?

@TwiiK

Very valid question you posted there!

Bullseye and Running Man where both created in a very short timespan and with a loaded gun to our heads, as we desperately had to figure out a way to show the world what we as a team where capable of in terms of initial gunplay and movement .. Unfortunately, this rush came with the profound unoptimized side effect of leaving very little time and room for designing future-proof systems and platforms production-wise.

But do not worry! .. our ambitions and ultimate goals for IM lies far far beyond what both Bullseye and Running Man delivered and we're still to this day pulling a lot of experience and content from both "games" to help our journey moving forward.

What we're developing now with Deadlock (which is part of the Project IM prologue storyline) is THE foundation for which everything is delivered moving forward (mutiplayer, coop and Interstellar Marines the full games eventually).

We're just getting started here! (Which hurts to say after having fought for this dream since back in 2003)

For the love of the game!

I see.

I at least, thought Bullseye was infinitely more playable than Deadlock in its current implementation and I'm anxiously awaiting the point where I can shoot others with the same feel as in Bullseye. :)

Keep up the good work.

I'm so proud to be part of a community like this, take your time guys, get it done right and you'll be onto a winner!

*Shoots at the lights* Woo hoo! *walks in the shadows*

-Leowolf-

I would love to try this, but I'm more of a console guy so, I don't know if I should buy it.

Sweat vid, very atmospheric maps due to the weather, exspecially that night time storm, wish players could switch into night vision googles in deadlock and get flashed by lightning, would be awesome :)

Will other itterations of Deadlock include more social features or is deadlock just a demo to get neworking right? Kill or be killed is a feat but a true feeling of being a marine in a squad is interacting with team mates. Is that coming to this Deadlock in later iterations or have I misintepreted the purpose of Deadlock?

@DarkSmoke:

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Deadlock is much more than just another slice; This time we're making sure that we establish a solid technology and gameplay platform for which everything is built moving forward.

Including all kinds of cool social interactions, stat-tracking mechanics, profile integration, reward and achievement systems, competitions and tournaments and much more we haven't thought about yet .. We hope this "combined" experience will help establish serious "hooks" in people to come back for more each day as we update Deadlock with more gameplay, features and content.

Okay after reading your post, I will repost this here...

Quoting ZPSHicks, from ATD Week 21

it'll be our ultimate job to communicate (preferably as simple as Minecraft) what you get access to if you pre-purchase our products

Unquote

I think you absolutely have to give free access to Deadlock, it is about telling people what they can expect. Some will probably not like this, and I don't know if it is possible or completely outside the scope of Deadlock, but here goes.

Deadlock is free to play.
You get access to variated degrees of coolness depending on your membership status ;

Unregistered, looks like the bots from running man, can only melee attack

Registered, Civilian insurgent, armed with pistol or some kind of bad rifle, no HUD, no armor, no flashlight etc.

Frontline unit, Interstellar Marine, HUD, armor, 1 weapon, IM gadgets

Spearhead unit, elite Interstellar marine, HUD, armor, 2 weapons, elite gadgets.

20 Support medals or more, unlocks Landshark :)

the problem with the free2play model you surgest to the ZPS gyus Hral, is that it is the Pay to win model, where the ones who have bought the game are better than everyone else. This is what many BAD F2P's does.

also if they make deadlock F2P then, how are they going to earn any cash.

I think it makes sense in this case.

IMHO ZPS want to expose Deadlock to the biggest audience possible, in hope of them thinking :
"this is pretty awesome made, the games are going to be great, I'm going to buy Frontliner/Spearhead upgrade, and also pawn the people in Deadlock.

Why would ZPS limit deadlock to frontliners and spearheads, AFAIK there are 211 Frontliners and about 2500 Spearheads, why only show deadlock to 2700 people ?
If you don't support the vision, FLOTG and all, then you don't get to be a cool Interstellar Marine, but you get a chance to see the enviroment etc. and the people who have bought the game.

while i will say that making it F2P might be a good idea, when making a bigger player base. The system that you surgest is neither a good nor an ok system, since it is a Pay 2 Win senario, and that is not a fair system, and reason for that is, that if you do this the games will not be desided by skill but by the amount of money that you have, and for most people playing an unfair game is not a hole lot of fun. dont misunderstand me some people find it fun even thou it is unfair, but many don't, that is mostly the reason why the european F2P model is different from the original Japanese F2P model(which is very much pay to win).

Hey guys, I am a new spearhead as of today, and have to say: Deadlock should not be F2P until it is in a releasable state. ZPS doesn't want an unfinished, let's face it, it is unfinished at this point, game getting out and everyone being able to play it. That is my 2 cents and is all based on practicality and business sense.

i have to agree with fragfest2012 don't release it before version 1 is finished. But then release it free for everybody that registers.

Everyone that per-orders gets the benefit of having access to the newest version. Cause i don't think Deadlock will have one final release but multiple. These are free to anybody but we get all the versions in between as well.

when I was playing i noticed that the Reddot scope's dot is not staying centered.

Welcome Fragfest2012 !
On topic I do agree, 2700 players is enough for beta testing feedback and such, but why limit Deadlock to 2700 players ?

Are you going to keep those gun sounds? Because I think you need to make them less harsh sounds. More like Battlefield 3 gun sounds. You know what I mean?

Looks awesome by the way.

@ZPSHicks

Thanks for the reply to my question, it feels really good to see developers talking to their audiences in open dialouge, its refreshing :)

However, in your reply your mentioned social interactions as stat-tracking mechanics, profile integration, reward and achievement systems, competitions and tournaments...

These features weren't exactly what I meant by social interation, I should have been more specific as these features are community interaction because they operate in a sort of meta game space i.e. you play a match or game mode, and then the stat-tracking mechanics updates your profile so you can see your rank on leaderboards on a web browser or via in-game menus, this then allows you to in your head assess how you rank with friends or rival players (i.e. I may not be the best killer, but I captured the most flags and I have the best score in the campaign).

Rather by social functions I meant more about in-game team co-operation mechanics: the true hooks that make players new and veteran feel important within a match and motivates them to pursue later community interactions.

Such features might be mere visual signals like a tactical hud where players see the status of their allies, such as their ammo reserves, the weapons they are using, their health; or other tactical signals such as laser pointers that show the direction of where your teammates are aiming. Another example might be a waypoint systems where players can label objects in a map that notify allies to their intentions, like, 'I'm heading to this area', 'I'll protect you and offer covering fire.', 'Hey, I found a flanking position,' 'Hey, I'll protect the base',' 'Hey, I'll attack this enemy' "Hey, I've found a vehicle and am moving to this position, I need a gunner.' etc.

It is by such social features in-game that motivates players to engage with the community and explore stats, tornaments, etc, because suddenly their presence in a match can determine the tide, and they feel like an important player.

I've played many publisher funded games where its just a rush to the tank, or weapon spawn, and people just go about playing selfishly and hope that by performing individually well the team will too--how can this be :( It looks like interstellar marines has a different focus :)

So from your answer it sounds like Deadlock is the main arena where you will be developing the gameplay mechanics for the game. I'm really excited for this game, and look foward to what ZPS comes up with to make this a truely immersive shooter :)

@DarkSmoke

Thanks for a great counter-reply.

Very inspirational read there; especially since its the type of ideas and thoughts that occupies our long term ambitions (coop have always been an integral part of the IM experiencewe) .. It's however very relevant to keep thinking about how to enhance Deadlock with exciting cooperative features especially if we want to be competitive inside the extremely competitive online multiplayer space; which is where Deadlock is currently operating.

Congratulations! :)

i want to play this game,and i can pay spearhead for this.but im not us citizen.and i cant buy cause i dont have paypal or atm in my country. :l

i mean i have atm but it dont have paypal or other..

Just find somebody who has paypal and give them the money ?

@Dark smoke, would like like a coop that has a syndicate(2012 reboot) type hud where it displays team health, objective distance etc http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screensho
ts/Syndicate/Syndicate%20Co-op%20HUD_1-w1280.jpg

And a console demo would be great, unfortunately that would mean it would be published by mircosoft/sony, but you could make it free download with an option in game to donate. I would become spearhead then due to sub par laptop *cough over 5YO cough*. A console demo could introduce IM to a larger audience.

love the weather effects

this is the best game,now if you guys could make a deadlock with teammates killing other teammates,then it would be amazing

Come on people, I get my Spearhead 10 minutes ago only to not have anyone else play Deadlock! Lets get going and shoot some marines!

@Cratanz if you tell me your steam name i could invite you the next time we get online.

I don't currently have a pc to play this (only a netbook) but it looks amazing. Keep up the hard work guys and hopefully in the coming weeks i'll be cannon fodder for you all.

The game so far looks absolutly sensational, but will it ever be free to play

Awesome, good luck.